WILLIAM M. GRISHAW, a member of the firm of Haynes, Grishaw & Shook, dealers in general merchandise, was
born in Ripley County, Ind., June 22, 1839. When he was twelve years of age, his parents removed to Tipton County.
Here he grew to manhood, having had such advantages for gaining an education as the primitive log cabin schoolhouse,
with greased paper for windows, afforded. In 1861, he engaged in clerking; soon afterward, however, he embarked
individually in merchandising. In 1867, he entered into partnership with Mr. Haynes at Sharpsville, and in 1870
they took in the third member of the present firm, Mr. Shook. In 1872, he was elected by his party to the office
of County Treasurer, and in 1873 removed to Tipton and entered upon the discharge of the duties of his office,
which he filled fbr one term of two years. In 1879, the firm of which he is a member established a branch store
at Tipton, in No. 2, Opera Building, north side public square, where they are doing a fine business. Mr. Grishaw
is a member of the Masouic fraternity, and is politically a Republican. Besides his interest in the firm above
mentioned, he is the owner of 300 acres of fine land, within one mile of Tipton, and a good residence in the town.
He was married in Ripley County, Ind., in 1864, to Miss America Shook, by whom he is the father of five children,
viz.: Ora B., Ira G., James B., Charlie R. and Harry E.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium