RAPHAEL CHARLES, blacksmith and manufacturer of wagons, carriages and buggies, is a native of Wurtemherg, Germany,
where he remained until his seventeenth year, when he emigrated to America, landing in New York City in May, 1854.
He at once came West, and located at Clarksburg. Decatur Co., Ind., where he began learning his trade; he remained
in that place until 1870, when he came to Tipton. After his arrival here, he engaged for one year in farming, at
the end of which time he purchased a blacksmith and carriage shop and residence, and again pursued his trade, which
he has continued to follow ever since with success. Besides the property above mentioned, he is the owner of a
farm of eighty acres, situated four miles west of Tipton, in a good state of cultivation; he is an industrious,
energetic citizen, and holds in high esteem the Masonic fraternity, of which be is an honored member. His shops
are situated on the corner of East and Jefferson streets, near the Wabash Railroad, and are always well stocked
with specimens of his handiwork, in the shape of wagons and buggies, which customers can purchase at a bargain.
Mr. Charles was married in Decatur County, Ind., February 11, 1861, to Miss Sarah Werner. They have a family of
three children, viz.: Antony, Sue Ellen and William.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Tipton County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium