E. C. Taylor was born Dec. 9, 1832, in Champaign county, Ohio, and is the son of Levi and Sarah Taylor, the
former a native of Virginia, and latter of New York. His grandfather was one of Ohio's first settlers. Mr. T. was
reared on the farm to the age of 16 or 18, at which time he began clerking and continued this business until he
became of age, when he and a Mr. Parker formed a partnership in the dry goods business at North Louisburg, Ohio,
and after a short time they moved their stock of goods to Kingston, where they took a third partner, H. B. Evans,
and followed merchandising business for about one year, when they removed their store to Allen county, where Mr.
Taylor sold his interest and began farming, which he followed in summer and clerked in winter; this he followed
from 1854 to 1858, at which time he migrated to Berrien county, Mich., where he resided until Nov., 1864, at which
time he located in this place and opened a store consisting of groceries, provisions, flour, salt, queens-ware,
glassware, stone-ware, wooden-ware, notions, confectioneries, school books and stationery. Mr. Taylor married Miss
Sarah C. Harris Dec. 16, 1856, who was born March, 1839, in Green county, Ohio, and they had 6 children, to wit:
Charles L., Emma C., Annie B., Edward W., Daisy D. and Harris E. Mrs. T. is a member of the Christian Church. Mr.
Taylor has held the office of Town Treasurer for 14 years, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He owns 123
acres of land, besides his town property. P. 0., New Carlisle.
History of St. Joseph County, Indiana
Chas. C. Chapman & Co., Publisher
St. Joseph County
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium