Biography of Dr. John C. Sexton
Rush County, IN Biographies





JOHN CHASE SEXTON, M. D. The outstanding name in the medical profession of Rush county is that of Sexton, four of the name having been prominent practitioners whose services have extended over a period covering nearly one hundred years. Dr. Horatio Gates Sexton, the grandfather of Dr. John C. Sexton, was among the earliest pioneers of the county. He was born in Wilbraham, Mass., January 21, 1796, a son of David Sexton of that city, and when a young man decided that there were greater opportunities for advancement in the western states of Ohio or Indiana than in the older settled parts of the country. Accordingly, he made his way toward the West, and while engaged in teaching at Harrison, Ohio, began the study of medicine under a Dr. Cruikshank. He had a natural talent as a doctor, and in about 1820 was far enough advanced in his studies to warrant his entering the ranks of the profession for himself, which he did, locating at Springboro, Warren County, Ohio. In 1822, he came to Indiana and located at Rushville, which at that time was nothing but a collection of modest cabins in the wilderness. His ability was soon recognized, and the confidence of the people resulted in his winning a fortune second to none in the county. He was one of the charter members of the Rush County Medical Society (1846), and took a keen interest in the welfare of that organization. He was also one of the founders of the Presbyterian church in Rushville, and remained one of its most ardent workers until the time of his death, June 13, 1865. He had married, in 1822, Hannah Pugh, of Springboro. Ohio, and to this union were born twelve children, of whom Marshall and Leonidas were two. The latter of these two sons came in later years to be one of the most prominent men of the state of Indiana, lieutenant governor of the state and representative in the forty fifth Congress of the United States. Following the death of the mother of these children Doctor Sexton married Lucretia Cramer, and to that union was born one child, a son, Cramer Sexton, who is still living, now a resident of Tennessee. Dr. Marshall Sexton was born at Rushville, January 29, 1823, and after receiving his preliminary education in the schools there spent two years at Hanover College. He then began to study medicine with his father, and in the year 1842, was matriculated at Ohio Medical College from which he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1844. For ten years thereafter he practiced at Rushville with his father, continuing alone until the outbreak of the Civil war, in which he served as surgeon of the Fifty second regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, until the spring of 1863, ill health then making it imperative that he resign his commission. He returned to civilian life at Rushville, where he remained until the long years of his successful practice were terminated by his death, January 9, 1892. He had been married in Wilmington, Ohio, in May, 1844, to Miss E. S. Brooks. They became the parents of five children, Horatio G.; Louise, afterward Mrs. George Ha vens; Mrs. Ruby H. Frazer, of Xenia, Ohio; Sally M., widow of Dr. Charles H. Parsons, of Rushville, and John Chase. Dr. John Chase Sexton was born on January 21, 1859, at Rushville, and his early career was almost identical with that of his father. After being graduated from the Rushville high school in 1876, he entered Hanover College, and after nearly three years at that institution commenced the study of his profession under his father. In 1880 he went to Cincinnati to attend the Ohio Medical College, from which he was graduated in 1882 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He took up active practice in partnership with his father, but wishing to have further training along medical lines he later took post graduate work at Philadelphia, New York, and Chicago. He was then equipped to take a commanding position in the profession, and he quickly became recognized as one of the ablest practitioners in the state. He is looked upon as an authority in gastro intestinal surgery and was made professor of that chair at the Indiana University Medical College. In 1902 Doctor Sexton instituted the only hospital within the boundaries of Rush county, and at this building, which is located on Sixth street between Main and Perkins, he carries on his practice. On September 27, 1882, Doctor Sexton was married to Hannah Cullen, the only daughter of Judge William A. Cullen, who was for years one of the leaders in Rush county legal and judicial activities. To them have been born two children: Frances B. and Dr. Marshall Cullen Sexton, the latter of whom passed the state medical examination in 1920 with a high grade, after completing his medical course at Miami Medical College, and is now associated with his father in practice. Dr. John C. Sexton has always been active in the work of the medical associations and is an ex Fellow of the American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, a member of the American Medical Association, a member of and ex president of the Indiana Sate Medical Society, and a member of the Rush County Medical Society and the Union District Medical Society. The series of portraits accompanying this review portray the four generations of the Sexton family who have maintained a continuing practice in Rushville, with the dates of the respective service of each of the doctors, beginning with Dr. Horatio G. Sexton, whose practice continued from 1822 to 1865; Dr. Marshall Sexton, 1844-1892; Dr. John C. Sexton, continuing since 1882, and Dr. Cullen Sexton, 1920.

From:
Centennian History of Rush County, Indiana
Edited by: A. L. Gary and E. B. Thomas
Historical Publishing Company
Indianapolis 1921


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Rush County, IN
Biographies

Indiana
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012