Biography of Dr. Lowell M. Green
Rush County, IN Biographies





LOWELL M. GREEN, M. D. one of the best known members of the medical profession at Rushville, was born in that city on April 15, 1882, a son of Hon. Thomas M. Green, who was also a native of this county, born at Milroy, on September 16, 1853. Thomas M. Green was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth (McKee) Green, residents of Rushville, and lived upon a farm in this county until he was eighteen years of age, when he was matriculated at Indiana State University. At this institution he pursued his studies for two years, then entering as a student the law office of John A. Holman, at Indianapolis. Ill health forced him to return to the farm in Rush county after eighteen months spent in preparation for the legal profession, but in a few months he once more attempted his chosen calling. He was admitted to the Rush county bar, and entered the office of Sleeth & Study, but the condition of his health forbade his continuance as a lawyer, and in two years he was compelled to give up his cherished ambition. He accordingly interested himself in the stove and tinware business, in 1870 forming a partnership with M. C. Kitchen, which lasted for four years. In 1886 Mr. Green was elected on the Republican ticket as representative from Rush county to the state legislature. Thomas M Green was married on June 5, 1879, to Anna D. Foxworthy; daughter of James H. and Cynthia A. (Barrett) Foxworthy, natives of Rush county, and they became the parents of four children: Paul D., Lowell M., Myron R. and Alma M. Lowell M. Green received his preliminary schooling in the public schools of Rushville and was graduated from the high school with the class of 1899. He then attended Indiana University for two years, taking the pre medical course, and thereafter took a four years course at Indiana Medical College, from which he received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1906. Upon receiving his diploma Doctor Green began the practice of his profession in Indianapolis, but in the fall of that same year returned to Rushville where he opened an office, and has there continued in practice. On July 19, 1917, Doctor Green volunteered for service in the World war and was commissioned a first lieutenant in the Fourth regiment (infantry) of the Indiana National Guard. He recruited a medical unit of thirty three men, thirty one of whom were residents of Rush county, and on August 5, 1917, this unit was mustered into the Federal service as the Infirmary of the One Hundred and Thirty ninth Field Artillery. After a month's training at Camp Wolfe, Rushville, the company was ordered to Fort Benjamin Harrison, at Indianapolis, and on September 28, 1917, was sent to Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg, Miss. After months of training and weary waiting, the division of which this unit was a part was sent overseas to France Returning to this country in the spring of 1919 the organization was discharged. Doctor Green was discharged from the service on January 20, 1919, with the rank of captain in the Medical Corps, United States Army. Doctor Green is a member of Rush Post, No. 150, American Legion, and was chairman of the first executive committee of that patriotic organization. He is a life member of the American Red Cross and a member of the Rush County Medical Society, the Sixth District Medical Society, the Union District Medical Society, the Indiana State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is a thirty second degree Mason, affiliated with Phoenix Lodge, No. 62, Free and Accepted Masons, at Rushville; Rush Chapter, No. 24, Royal Arch Masons; Rush Council, No. 41, Royal and Select Masters, and Rushville Commandery, No. 49, Knights Templar, and with the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Indianapolis, and is a noble of the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, affiliated with Murat Temple at Indianapolis. He is a member of the college fraternities Beta Theta Pi and Phi Chi and is likewise affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. He is a Republican and he and his wife are members of the United Presbyterian church. On September 15, 1910, Dr. Lowell M. Green was united in marriage to Maud B. Fargo, an alumnus of DePauw University and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis W. Fargo, natives of Virginia, and to this union two children have been born, both sons, Thomas M. Green, Jr., and Lowell M. Green, Jr.

From:
Centennian History of Rush County, Indiana
Edited by: A. L. Gary and E. B. Thomas
Historical Publishing Company
Indianapolis 1921


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Rush County, IN
Biographies

Indiana
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012