Biography of Dr. J. W. Green
Rush County, IN Biographies





J. W. GREEN, M. D., the first in three generations of Rush county physicians and one of the early medical practitioners in the county, was born here on February 5, 1825, the son of Lot and Anna (Cooper) Green, pioneers. They came to Rush county in 1824, located in Posey township, and here J. W. Green grew to manhood. He had early become interested in the medical science, and by diligent application to such works on anatomy and other branches as could obtain, trained himself to minister to the ills of his fellow beings. He was generous to a fault, and during the Civil war never accepted any remuneration for services rendered to the families of soldiers, his kindness and sympathetic nature winning him a legion of warm friends. On May 18, 1846, he married Mary J. Gowdy, ot Arlington, and they were the parents of twelve children: Lot, Nancy, Ann, Preston S., Adam W., Mary L., John, Thomas, William Lewis, Nellie R., James and Charles. Dr. Lot Green was born in Arlington, where his father, Dr. J. W. Green, practiced medicine, July 29, 1847, and after completing his preliminary schooling entered Butler University at Irvington, Ind., and was graduated from the medical department of that institution in 1881. He came to be a very successful member of the profession, was an ardent worker in various medical associations, and for several years was county health officer. In addition to his professional interests he was the owner of a fine farm in Jackson township. In 1872, he married Cordelia J. Barnard, a daughter of Brasilia G. and Rachel (Roberts) Barnard, residents of Posey township, this county, and to them were born five sons Lucien L., Hallie W., Frank H., Charles S., and Derby B. Dr. Frank H. Green was born on July 20, 1876, at Arlington, the third son of Dr. Lot Green, and after attending the common schools of Jackson township and the high schools at Gings Station and Rushville he was matriculated at Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis, from which institution he received his M. D. degree on March 31, 1897. Return to Rushville, he began to practice with his father. with whom he continued until February 21, 1905, when he began to practice for himself. He took post graduate work for three months in 1901 at the New York Post Graduate Hospital and again in 1917. For fifteen years he ably assisted Dr. John C. Sexton, having been a member of the Sexton Hospital staff for that length of time. On October 3, 1918, he entered the military service of the country as captain in the medical corps, was stationed first at Ft. Oglethorp, Ga., for three months, and then at Camp Sheridan at Montgomery, Ala., where he was discharged in January, 1919. While at Ft. Oglethorp Captain Green completed a three months course in X-ray. further perfecting himself for civilian practice. On returning to Rushville, he opened a private hospital, making it possible for him to enlarge the scope of his work as well as enabling him to diseharge more efficiently the duties entailed by his large clientele. On November 23, 1898, Doctor Green was married to Kate R. Kiplinger, a daughter of Daniel F. and Maude H. Kiplinger. They have had one child, a son born in 1900, who died in infancy. Although almost his entire time is occupied by his professional duties, Doctor Green gives some attention to the 146 acre farm in Rushville township, which he and his brother Derby own. He is well known in fraternal bodies in Rushville, being a member of the Masonic order, Knights of Pythias, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and the Improved Order of Red Men. Politically he is a Republican, and has never failed with his Support in any worthy cause either in the realm of politics or in civic welfare. Doctor Charles S. Green, the fourth son of Doctor Lot Green and one of the county's leading dental surgeons, was born in the town of Occident, Jackson township, this county, December 2, 1883. True to a family tradition, he decided on a career of professional practice, though in a slightly different branch of the medical science than that followed by his forebears, and after completing the course of study prescribed in the common sehools of Jackson township and the high school at Rushville, he entered Indiana Dental College, from which he received the degree of D. D. S. in 1906. He returned to Rushville to enter upon the practice of his profession, and has won many supporters by the excellent character of the work he does, as his clientele all know that there is no improvement, invention, or scientific discovery made in dentistry of which Doctor Green does not take instant advantage. He married Elma H. Retherford, a daughter of Robert and Lila Retherford, and they are the parents of two children: Frank H., Jr., and Justine. He is a member of the Masonic order, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. and the Knights of Pythias, in all of which he enjoys unusual popuJarity. The principles of the Republican party coincide most nearly with his political views, and it is there that his support is given.

From:
Centennian History of Rush County, Indiana
Edited by: A. L. Gary and E. B. Thomas
Historical Publishing Company
Indianapolis 1921


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Rush County, IN
Biographies

Indiana
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012