Biography of Horrie Brooks
Rush County, IN Biographies





HORRIE BROOKS, a well known agriculturist, of Noble township, is occupying the same property which was the scene of his birth. Mr. Brooks, however, has not spent his entire life on this farm, as his career has been a somewhat varied one and his experiences have taken him to various parts of the state. He was born on June 10, 1874, a son of James and Frances (Stevens) Brooks. James Brooks was born in Adams county, Ohio, where he grew to manhood and during the Civil war enlisted in the Sixty second regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry. At the close of that struggle he migrated to Indiana and engaged in farming in Noble township, this county, on the farm a part of which is now owned by his son. After spending a number of years in this locality he removed to Union township, where he rented a farm, and there continued his operations until he retired from active life, since when he has lived quietly at Rushville. Mr. Brooks married Frances Stevens, who was born in Rush county, a daughter of A. J. and Mary (Gregg) Stevens, natives of Noble township and members of early families of this locality. This is said to be the oldest homestead in Noble township, the land having been entered by John Gregg, who came hither from Bracken county, Kentucky, as early as 1821, and entered a large tract of land. to which he added from time to time, at his death being the possessor of 1,300 acres, which he devoted to general farming and the raising of live stock. On this land, in 1826, he erected the old home that is still standing, in which was born Mary (Gregg) Stevens, the mater. nal grandmother of Horrie Brooks, and in which Mr. Brooks, who was also born here, now lives. Three children were born to James and Frances Brooks, Horrie, Charles and one who died in infancy. Horrie Brooks received his education in the public schools of Noble and Union townships, and upon leaving school took up farming. Later he became interested in racing horses and for a time operated a racing stable and entered his horses in various meets all over t.he state, the star of his performers being "John D.", with a record of 2:04 1/4. Later he trained race horses at Rushville and for six years had charge of a stock farm and racing barn at Clinton, Indiana. About 1916 Mr. Brooks retired from the racing game and returned to the more prosaic business of farming, after three years spent at Indianapolis. He is the owner of a property consisting of fifty acres, and is renting sufficient land to make his operations cover activities on 100 acres, which he is devoting to general farming and stock raising. He is capable, energetic and entirely trustworthy and therefore forms a useful and honorable factor in the life of his community. Mr. Brooks was united in marriage in 1905 to Mrs. Ella N. (Templeton) Shaw, daughter of James W. and Frances (Stout) Templeton. They have no children. Mrs. Brooks was born in Shelby county, Indiana. Her Lather was born in Franklin county and her mother in Decatur county, this state. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Templeton resided for a time in Shelby county, but later removed to Decatur county, where Mr. Templeton died in 1901. His widow still survives him and is a resident of Indianapolis. They had five children: Flora, Mrs. Brooks, Harry, Grace and Elizabeth. Mr. and Mrs. Brooks are members of the Christian church at Rushville. In politics he is a stalwart supporter of the Republican party.

From:
Centennian History of Rush County, Indiana
Edited by: A. L. Gary and E. B. Thomas
Historical Publishing Company
Indianapolis 1921


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Rush County, IN
Biographies

Indiana
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012