Biography of John W. Anderson
Rush County, IN Biographies





JOHN W. ANDERSON, better known throughout this region as "Trim" Anderson, one of the substantial agriculturists of Anderson township, but whose operations as a general farmer, feeder of stock and large landowner cover an area extending into Decatur county, was born on a farm in Richland township, Rush county, September 29, 1869, a son of John Samuel and Priscilla (Hopkins) Anderson, the former a native of Decatur county and the latter of Kingston, this state. John Samuel Anderson received only limited educational advantages, but was a youth of ambition and industry, and when still young in years became the owner of an extensive property, in both Decatur and Rush counties. He moved to the latter county shortly before his death, which occurred when he was yet a young man in 1869, his widow surviving him only one year. They had two children: John W., and a child who died in infancy. John W. Anderson was an infant when left an orphan by the death of his mother, and at that time was taken into the home of his uncle, James W. Anderson, who furnished him with a public school education. When he laid aside his school books he began farming with his uncle, whose associate he was until the time of his marriage. He then moved to the property on which he now lives in Anderson township, his home being situated on R. F. D. No. 1 out of Milroy. Mr. Anderson is now farming about 600 acres of the home place, and is the owner of about 1,700 'acres of land in Rush and Decatur counties. All of his property has received the benefit of his inclination toward improvements of a modern character, and the general prosperity which surrounds his farms is demonstrative evidence of the presence of able: and energetic management. As an operator in live stock, Mr. Anderson feeds out about 120 head of cattle each year and in the neighborhood of 1,000 hogs. Politically he adheres to the principles of the Republican party and has always supported its candidates. He is a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Milroy and is a member of the board of trustees of the same. On February 14 1895, John W. Anderson married May Davis, daughter of Samuel H. and Mary E. Davis, and to this union have been born five children: Lois, Leland. Alice, Marjorie and John Samuel, all unmarried and living with their parents. Mr. Anderson is justly accounted one of the substantial men of his community, and a citizen who has kept thoroughly informed as to current events and faithfully discharged all the duties pertaining to an enlightened citizenship.

From:
Centennian History of Rush County, Indiana
Edited by: A. L. Gary and E. B. Thomas
Historical Publishing Company
Indianapolis 1921


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Rush County, IN
Biographies

Indiana
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012