WILLIAM GILSON was born in Rush County, Ind., January 20, 1828, and is the son of David and Margaret (Boon)
Gilson, natives of Virginia and Tennessee, and of Irish and German descent; his father was born in 1794, and came
to Rush County about the year 1821. He entered forty acres of land two miles north of Rushville, and subsequently
added forty acres to this; he afterward sold this tract, and purchased 160 acres one mile further north, upon which
he is now living, enjoying the fruits of a successful life; he was an early pioneer of Rush County, and he and
wife are prominent members of the Baptist Church. William Gilson was reared upon his father's farm, and received
the advantages of a common school education; he engaged in the saw mill business for five years, and in 1861 he
sold his mill, came to Howard County, and purchased a farm of sixty acres, two miles northeast of Jerome; he returned
to Rush County, and was married to Ivy A. David, born July 27, 1837, daughter of Jacob and Catharine (Kiplinger)
David, of German descent. Shortly after his marriage, he located on his farm in Howard County, where he lived until
August, 1874, when he exchanged this farm for 110 acres two miles southeast of Jerome, upon which he is still living.
Mr. Gilson is an active politician in the Democratic ranks, but cast his first ballot for Zachariah Taylor in 1848.
He was Treasurer of the Grange movement, and his wife is identified with the Christian Church. Mr. and Mrs. Gilson
have had the following children: Margaret C., born May 28, 1863, died August 25, 1864; David E., born February
27, 1865; Jacob B., born April 26, 1867; and John F., born August 30, 1869, and died August 21, 1871.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Howard County, IN
Names A to F
Names G to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium