DAVID FOSTER (deceased), one of the earliest pioneers of Howard County, was born in Albemarle County, Va., July
30, 1808. At the age of nineteen, he settled in Johnson County, Ind., and learned the cabinet making trade. After
acquiring his trade, he went to Mooresville, Morgan County, and was there married to Miss Elizabeth M. Grant, January
17, 1832. This union was blessed with eleven children. In 1835, Mr. Foster moved to Burlington, Carroll County,
and began to trade with the Indians. In March, 1840, he located in Ervin Township, this county, where he opened
up a trading post, but in the fall of 1842, he removed to Center Township and took possession of the cabin erected
by the Indiana chief, Kokomo. Here he opened a trading post, and for many years dealt largely with the Indians.
Mr. Foster was an active factor in the organization of the county, and gave largely to public improvement and the
advancement of religion and education. Before the location of the county seat, the Commissioners told Mr. Foster
that they would locate the county seat here if he would donate forty acres and build a log court house 24x24 feet,
put in puncheon floors and seat it with benches. This he agreed to do, and Kokomo, the county seat, was laid out.
At this time, Mr. Foster was the only white resident in this locality. He also donated the ground for the Methodist
Episcopal Church and parsonage, and Normal School building. Mr. Foster died November 27. 1877, aged sixty nine
years, having survived his wife only a few years. Thus passed from earth another landmark, another pioneer, a man
largely identified with the material progress of the county whose birth he had witnessed, and whose growth he had
assisted and watched for thirty three years.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Howard County, IN
Names A to F
Names G to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium