A. F. ARMSTRONG, one of the representative business men of Indiana, is a native of Clinton County, Ohio, where
he was born April 1, 1835, and where he received a common school education. In 1849, he came to Kokomo, and has
made it his home up to the present time. In 1866, he, with Dr. J. A. James and H. A.
Armstrong, founded the present business house of which he is still the head, and the remarkable success of
which is due, in a great measure, to his skillful management and able financiering. For about thirty years, Mr.
Armstrong has been actively engaged in the mercantile business, persistently carrying out the fixed purpose of
his life. His career has been one of continuous prosperity, the result of industry, integrity, and fair, honorable
dealing. Mr. Armstrong helped to organize the city of Kokomo, and was a member of the first Council, in which capacity
he served eight consecutive years. He has assisted all progressive measures for the improvement and advancement
of the material wealth of Howard County, and in all works of charity and benevolent societies he is a liberal supporter.
In politics, Mr. Armstrong has always been an ardent and influential Democrat. He was elected to the State Senate
in 1870, and held that position until 1874, serving three terms, and through the special session of 1872. His genial
and gentlemanly deportment has always made him popular in his district, and in 1876, when candidate for Congress
from the Eleventh District, he reduced the Republican majority from 3,100 to 1,400. In 1878, when a candidate for
the nomination as State Auditor, he received nearly as large a vote as the numerous candidates combined, with the
exception of Gen. Manson, who received the nomination. He has held various minor offices in the county; all of
which have been discharged with fidelity and honor. In educational matters, Mr. Armstrong has always taken a progressive
interest, and has served upon the School Board of Kokomo. In June, 1863, Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage with
Miss Mary S. Brandon, daughter of Montgomery and Martha Brandon, of Kentucky, who were pioneer settlers of Indiana,
settling in this State in 1834. Mr. B. died in Kokomo in 1880, surviving his beloved wife only a few months. Mr.
Brandon was for many years prominently identified with the progress of the State, and a respected citizen. Mrs.
Armstrong is foremost in all good deeds, and has given much attention to public and charitable works, such as President
of the Orphans' Home, of the Suffrage Club, and the Ladies' Lecture Association, besides taking an active interest
in the cause of temperance and all good works. They have been blessed with two children, Jennie and Sherman, who
died in infancy. In religion, Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong are influential and leading members of the Christian Church,
being members for many years. Mr. Armstrong has aided largely and been instrumental in clearing off the church
debt, and in giving freely his time, means and energy to the upbuilding of the same. He helped to organize the
first church of this faith in Howard County, and assisted in rearing its first edifice. In all of his business,
social and political relations, Mr. Armstrong has always pursued an honorable and conscientious course, and is
universally regarded as one of the citizens of whom Howard County is justly proud.
Counties of Howard and Tipton, Indiana
Historical and Biographical
Charles Blanchard, Editor
F. A. Bettey & Co.
Howard County, IN
Names A to F
Names G to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium