REV. JOHN ULERY.
One of the best remembered ministers in the Brethren church during the past generation in Carroll county was
the Rev. John Ulery, who was born near Dayton, Montgomery county, Ohio, and who moved with his parents to Tippecanoe
county, Indiana, where he was educated and where he grew to manhood. This great state will never forget the services
of its early ministers of the Gospel, and it is impossible to compensate them in any way for the noble sacrifices
they made. This is especially true of those that are gone, and especially true of the Rev. John Ulery, who divided
his time between fanning and preaching, and who continued active in the ministry of the Gospel until his death.
John Ulery was educated in the pioneer schools of Tippecanoe county, Indiana, and lived at home with his parents
until his father's death. He then began working for himself, being at that time about twelve years old. On September
4, 1853, he was married to Esther Shively, a native of Tippecanoe county, Indiana, born on January 1, 1839. To
this happy union there were born four children, two of whom are still living. The names of the Ulery children in
the order of their birth are as follow : Isaac, born on July 13, 1854, died at the age of four years, Susanna,
born on October 13, 1856, married Solomon Ulery and they are now residents of Clay township, Carroll county; Henry,
born on August 9, 1859, died at the age of thirty years; Laura Ellen, born on January 12, 1876, married William
C. Welever, and they are now residents of Pynnont, Carroll county.
About 1870, Reverend Ulery retired from active farming and five years later, in 1875, the family moved to Pynnont,
but he did not live long after his removal to that town, passing away from the scenes of his earthly labors when
he was practically in the prime of his youthfulness.
After the death of the Rev. John Ulery, his widow was married to Leonard Wagoner, who died a few years later. She
was subsequently married to Joseph Felix. Mrs. Felix owns a farm of one hundred and three acres of well improved
land in Tippecanoe county. Indiana, and also a farm of fifty eight acres in Clay township. Besides these two farms,
she owns a splendid home in Pyrmont. Mrs. Felix is a member of the Brethren church and one of the leading women
in this part of Carroll county. She is a woman of generous and charitable impulses, who takes a most commendable
part in all worthy public enterprises to which women are accustomed to turn their attention. She is highly respected
by her neighbors and by those persons with whom she has been thrown into contact during her long and useful life.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium