GEORGE W. SHANKLIN.
The Union soldier of the great war between the states builded wiser than he knew. Through the suffering and
the wasting hardships, and through the horrors of prison pens, he laid the superstructure of this great temple
of human freedom which we know today as the United States of America. Among the valiant soldiers of the great Hoosier
commonwealth, who had a part in that memorable struggle, is George W. Shanklin, who, on September 10, 1861, with
his brother, C. P. Shanklin, of Frankfort, enlisted in Company H, Third Indiana Cavalry, under Capt. Alfred Gattis,
and served three years with the Army of the Cumberland under Generals Buell, Rosecrans and Thomas. Although he
had enlisted as a private at the outbreak of the war, he was a sergeant when mustered out of service. This splendid
citizen has lived to rear and to educate a large family of children and, in his long and useful life, has accumulated
a handsome fortune, comprising in part over seven hundred acres of land, all in one body and situated in Democrat
township. Not only is he prominent as a farmer, but he is likewise conspicuous in the fraternal and religious circles
of the county. From 1886 to 1892 he served two terms as commissioner of Carroll county, having been elected to
the office as a Republican. In the responsibilities and duties of peace, he gave service equal to the liberal measure
he bestowed upon the field of battle in defense of his country.
George W. Shanklin is a native of the township where he lives, having been born three and one half miles northeast
of Cutler, December 5, 1841. He is the son of John S. and Sarah G. (Young) Shanklin, both of whom were born in
1841 in Monroe county, West Virginia, and who, in turn, were the son and daughter of native born American parents.
The Youngs and Shanklins were originally of English and Irish origin. Sarah G. Young's mother, Agnes (Sims) Young,
was the only one of the older generation who ever came to Carroll county. For many years she lived with her daughter
in this state, having become a widow when still a young woman. She was considered the best Bible student in Carroll
county during her day and generation.
John S. and Sarah G. (Young) Shanklin grew up in Monroe county, West Virginia, and were married in that county,
where they farmed for a brief period after their marriage. Before any children were born to them, they came to
Carroll county in 1835, entering some five or six hundred acres of land, to which they later added. There was four
hundred acres of land in one body.
The late John S. Shanklin was a prominent citizen of Carroll county. He served as county commissioner in 1858 and
was an elder in the Presbyterian church for more than forty years. Of the eight children born to John S. and Sarah
G. (Young) Shanklin, all grew to maturity. Five are now living, R. P., who is in the wholesale grocery business
in Frankfort; George W., the subject of this sketch; Andrew Y., who is a resident of Democrat township on the old
homestead; Virginia E., who is the widow of R. T. Lung, of Kokomo; J. C., who is president of the First National
Bank, of Frankfort. The deceased children are, Mary Ann, who was the wife of David Wilson; Agnes Y., who was the
wife of Jonathan McCarty, and William N., who married Hattie Thomas, who now lives in Bringhurst. The father of
these children, John S. Shanklin, died at the age of seventy seven, in 1888, but his wife had preceded him twenty
years, passing away in 1868. During the last years of his life, he lived quietly on the farm, the land being operated
at this time by his son, William N.
After serving three years in the army, in which George W. was promoted to the rank of sergeant and his brother,
It P., to the rank of lieutenant, they returned to Carroll county and, for a time, taught school in the county.
George W. Shanklins taught for five terms. On September 18, 1867, Mr. Shanklin was married to Mary H. Wilson, the
daughter of Anthony Wilson, a well known citizen of the county.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Shanklins moved to the farm where they now live, but which has been greatly
improved during the intervening years. In 1872 Mr. Shanklin built a magnificent barn ands five years later built
a large brick house, in which the family has lived ever since. They have gradually increased the farm until it
now comprises more than seven hundred acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Shanklin have been the parents of six children, of whom only two are now living, Alice Viola, John
Anthony, Olive Belle, Sarah Glenn, one who died in infancy and Bessie Leonore Bordner. Alice Viola, deceased, married
John Pullen and left five children, one having died previously; the five living children are, Mary H., George Bert,
Charles Leon, Miriam Glenn and Olive Viola. John Anthony died at the age of two years. Olive Belle, who was a graduate
of the Wesleyan College for Women at Oxford, Ohio, married Frank D. McEllroy, a teacher in Crawfordsville, who
now lives in Hammond. At the time of her death, she left one child, who later died. Sarah Glenn, who is a graduate
of the University, of Wooster, is the wife of Doctor Quinn, of Burlington. Bessie Leonore, who is a graduate of
the university at Lake Forest and the wife of W. H. Bordner, a farmer of Democrat township, has two children, Mary
Catherine and William Shanklin.
Not only is Mr. Shanklin a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, in which he has served as commander of the
post for two terms, but he is also a member of Cutler Lodge No. 571, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is an
elder in the Presbyterian church at Cutler and has been prominently identified with the Republican party in Carroll
county all of his life.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium