PHARES D. ROBESON.
One of the natives of Carroll county, who, like his worthy parents, has been content to follow a well directed
course throughout life, is Phares D. Robeson. Born and reared on the farm, he has devoted his entire time and attention
to agricultural pursuits and has made an honored record to hand down to his children. Although encountering obstacles
and disappointments, he has refused to become disheartened, but has pressed forward, until he is now one of the
leading farmers in this county. Mr. Robeson, a retired farmer, living in Camden for the past eleven years, is at
present engaged in the horse business with his son, Earl Robeson. He is the owner of twenty two and a half acres
in the vicinity of Camden, where he is well and favorably known. Mr. Robeson was born in Jackson township, Carroll
'county, on November 28, 1846. The son of Andrew and Nancy (Stombaugh) Robeson, he comes of a prominent and wealthy
family. Nancy Stombaugh, his mother, who was of German descent, was married in Pennsylvania and came from Juniata
county to the home of Andrew Robeson's brother, John, in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, where he worked in the Robeson
woolen factory on Wild Cat creek. Afterward he managed a woolen mill in Musselman until he traded his interest
in it for a farm in Jackson township. During his residence in Carroll county, he owned nine hundred acres of valuable
farm land. He was a member of the Lutheran church, in which, during his later years, he took an active interest.
He was .a Republican and for many years was justice of the peace. During the Civil War he was enrolling officer.
Because of his genial nature, which attracted friends eterywhere and by reason of his prominence and influence,
he was looked upon as one of the city fathers and was known as "Squire." Of the eight children born to
Mr. and Mrs. Robeson only three are living, these being Mahlon, of Deer Creek; Phares D.; Plato, a retired farmer
living in Camden and owning large farms in section 14, township 25, range 1, west.
Going hack another generation in this interesting family, it is found that Andrew, who was born on a farm near
Tyrone, in Blair county, Pennsylvania, on December 21, 1814, was the son of Andrew Robeson, a native born Scotchman.
Andrew Robeson, Sr., who came to America when a young man, locating in Pennsylvania, worked at first on farms,
although he was an expert in woolen manufacture. He later operated the woolen mill in Tyrone on the Juniata river.
His wife was an Irish girl, named Roman Dennis, who came to this country with her parents and lived at Tyrone.
Andrew Robeson continued in the milling business the remainder of his life and taught his young son and namesake
the secrets of the trade. After his marriage, Andrew, Jr., came to this country and immediately settled in Tippecanoe
county, his subsequent activities being as described above.
Phares D. Robeson remained at home during his youth, doing farm work and receiving such education as the country
schools afforded at that time. In, his twenty second year, on October 27, 1869, he was married to Pauline Kendall,
a daughter of George and Lucinda Kendall, who were early settlers in Rock Creek township. After their marriage
they moved to a section of the farm belonging to Mr. Robeson's father, and there they set up housekeeping. At the
end of three years his father bought another farm and on this they lived until they removed to town, improving
and clearing the land, which was a tract consisting of one hundred and sixty acres. In 1904 Mr. Robeson and his
family moved to Camden and eight years later sold the farm, which is now owned by Alexander Jones.
Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Robeson: Frank is a resident of Louisville, Kentucky, and is connected
with the Illinois Central railroad ; Catherine is the wife of Charles Rice, who lives in Camden and is in the government
service; Irene died at the age of three years; Earl married Hettie Spivey, and to them were born two children,
Miles, who is now engaged in the livery business at home, and Thelma.
Phares Robeson, like his distinguished father, is interested actively in politics, being a member of the Republican
party. Mr. and Mrs. Robeson are members of and contribute generously to the Lutheran church of Camden. They fill
an important place in the community in which they have lived so many years, and have shown practical interest in
its welfare by supporting its worthy enterprises. Mr. Robeson is a man whom to know is to admire. He attracts friends
by his genial nature and sincerity, and his high moral standards have given him the respect of all who are fortunate
enough to know him.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium