WILLIAM W. PARSE.
Among the well known and well to do citizens of a past generation in Democrat township, Carroll county, Indiana,
was the late William W. Parse, a veteran of the Civil War, who enlisted in an Ohio regiment at the breaking out
of the war and served until the close, making 'for himself a splendid record as a soldier in the preservation of
his country. At the time of his death, on January 30, 1913, he was one of the most widely known and best beloved
citizens of the community where he lived.
William W. Parse was born on March 1, 1841, in Butler county, Ohio, the son of Felix Parse, and was reared to manhood
On August 30, 1864, William W. Parse was married to Ruhama Young, the daughter of A. P. and Mary (Dowden) Young,
both of whom were born in Butler county, Ohio, who grew up and were married in that county. Some time after their
marriage they immigrated to Indiana and settled in Clinton county on what is now called the Milliner place. Mr.
Young entered eighty acres of land and a little later eighty acres in Democrat township, having sold the first
farm and moved to the second farm in Carroll county. At one time A. P. Young owned altogether three hundred and
sixty acres of land in Democrat township. He and his wife were the parents of four children, two of whom, Robert,
the eldest, and William Edgar, are deceased. The living children are Margaret Jane, the wife of J. B. McCune, of
Sedalia; and Ruhama, the widow of William W. Parse, the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Parse was born on August 29,
1849, on the farm now owned by a Mr. Burgen, of Frankfort, but which was at one time owned by Mr. Parse.
After Mr. and Mrs. Parse were married they settled near the Adams mill on the Betsy Ellen farm, which they rented
on shares. After living there for one year they moved to the Robert Young farm, in Clinton county, which they occupied
for three years. They then moved to the farm upon which Mrs. Parse was born and lived there until they erected
buildings on the eighty acres of land one and one fourth miles south of Lexington, where Mrs. Parse now lives.
This farm originally comprised eighty acres, but has been increased by the addition of two eighty acre tracts,
until it now includes two hundred and forty acres.
Mr. and Mrs. William Parse were the parents of four children, three daughters and one son, namely: Ann Miranda,
who married Harve Brookie and has four children; Oliver Howard, who married Martha Abston, the daughter of Dr.
J. M. and Amanda (Walker) Abston; Pearl Josephine, deceased, who was the wife of George Philips, of Brookston,
Indiana; and Bertha Z., the wife of James D. Miller, of Democrat township. The children of Anna Miranda Brookie
are Arthur W., who lives in Cass county; Maude, who married Joe Burley, of Cass county, and his two children, Hazel
Ruhama and Clarence; Blanche and Guy R., who are Unmarried. The children of Oliver Howard are Vera L., a graduate
of the common schools; Jesse H., Iva Ruth, Mary M. and Howard P. Pearl was the mother of three sons, Virgil Clayton,
Verne Devon and Claude Emmett. The children of Bertha Miller are Mabel Ruhama, Edwin L., Edith L., who died on
January 26, 1913. and Helen E.
Mrs. William W. Parse is a member of the Presbyterian church. Her husband was a deacon in the church at one time.
He voted the Republican ticket and was prominent in the councils of his party in Democrat township.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium