JAMES D. LONG.
James D. Long, a prosperous farmer of Democrat township, Carroll county, Indiana, who owns two hundred acres
of land one and three quarters mile east of Cutler, on the Burlington and Cutler pike, has served two terms as
trustee of his home township, and is therefore well known, not only to the people of Democrat township, but to
the people of Carroll county as well.
Mr. Long was born two and one half miles north of Lexington, Indiana, on the Clinton and Carroll county line, July
25, 1846, and is a son of David and Hannah (Harkrader) Long, natives of Warren and Butler counties, Ohio, respectively.
David Long's father emigrated from Scotland in an early day and settled in Warren county, Ohio, and was there married,
and lived in the Buckeye state the remainder of his life. He owned two hundred and twenty acres of land altogether
in Warren county, Ohio. Anna Harkrader, the wife of David Long, was of German descent, her parents having come
from the Fatherland in an early day.
David Long and his wife lived in Ohio for three years after their marriage, one child having been born to them
before leaving Ohio in 1837. In the latter year they emigrated to Indiana, being among the first settlers in Owen
township, Clinton county. There David Long entered one hundred and sixty acres of land. He later purchased eighty
acres, and at the time of his death was the owner of two hundred and forty acres of fine land. He was a prominent
citizen in the pioneer life of Clinton county, and took an especially prominent part in the early politics of the
Thirteen children were born to David and Anna (Harkrader) Long, all of whom grew to manhood and womanhood: Washington,
deceased; Catherine, the widow of W. L. Mabbitt; Elizabeth, deceased, was the wife of Warren Adams; Martha, the
widow of William Weaver; Margaret, the wife of John Lennon, of Iowa; Eliza, the wife of William McClune, also a
resident of Iowa; Matilda. who was the wife of James Fennell, of Frankfort, and both are now deceased; Anna was
the wife of Robert Young, of Warren township, Clinton county, both now deceased; Mary, deceased, was the wife of
Frank McCrary, of North Carolina; Benjamin died at Chattanooga while in the service of the Union army during the
Civil War; Samuel, living one mile east of Sedalia, Clinton county, Indiana; James D., the immediate subject of
this review; and Amanda, who died at the age of fourteen years.
James A Long lived at home with his parents until he was twenty six years old, assisting with the work on the home
farm. On March 3, 1873, Mr. Long was married to Hannah L. Herron, the daughter of Doctor Herron, who lived near
Lexington, in Democrat township, this county. After his marriage Mr. Long purchased one hundred and twenty acres
of land from his father in law. where he lived until his removal to the farm known as the old Buren Wyatt farm
of one hundred and eighty acres, where he is now living. A little later Mr. Long added twenty acres more to this
farm, and is now the owner of two hundred acres of fine farming land.
Mr. and Mrs. Long are the parents of four children, three of whom are living: Edwin, who died in infancy; Estella,
the wife of Manford Smith, lives on the farm adjoining her father: Carlos D., living on the home place; and Grover,
living at Delphi, this county, is a graduate of Purdue University.
Fraternally, Mr. Long is a member of the Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge No. 3, at Cutler, Indiana. Politically,
he is a Democrat. He has served two terms as trustee of Democrat township.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium