To rear a large family of children to honorable and useful lives deserves perhaps a consideration superior to
that of any other achievement in life. This credit belongs to Philip Leslie, a retired farmer of Madison township,
Carroll county, Indiana, where he still owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, having divided some two hundred
and seventy six ecres among his several children. The Leslie farm is situated two and one half miles east of Ockley,
in Madison township.
Philip Leslie was born in Tippecanoe county, Indiana, March 15, 1836, and is the son of John and Catherine (Mikesell)
Leslie, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania and who removed with his father at the age of sixty seven years
to Ohio. Jacob Leslie, the paternal grandfather of Philip, settled in Butler county, ten miles from Dayton. Catherine
Mikesell also moved with her parents from Pennsylvania to Butler county, Ohio, and there grew to womanhood. After
their marriage in Butler county, Ohio, John and Catherine (Mikesell) Leslie lived there for a few years or until
they had four children, when they came to Indiana, settling in Tippecanoe county, where they entered one hundred
and sixty acres of land. There they built a cabin and lived for several years, in the meantime clearing twenty
acres of the farm. Subsequently, they moved to an adjoining farm northwest of the first and there they lived for
many years. When Mrs. Catherine Leslie was sixty three years old and her husband sixty seven, they immigrated to
Illinois, purchasing a farm there, and there spent the remainder of their lives. They were the parents of thirteen
children, only two of whom are living, Philip, the subject of this sketch, and Catherine, the widow of Charles
Philip Leslie did whatever he could find to do when he was a young man, until 1860, when he was twenty four years
old. At that time he purchased eighty acres of land in Tippecanoe county, which he farmed for many years.
On April 23, 1863, Philip Leslie was married to Sarah Jane Murphy, the daughter of Alexander Murphy, of Clay township.
After living on the farm until 1865, Mr. and Mrs. Leslie sold the farm and moved to Carroll county. He and his
brother in law established a woolen mill at Prince William. After operating the mill for one year, Mr. Lae purchased
one hundred acres of land, where he has lived ever since. For sixteen years Mr. and Mrs. Leslie lived in a log
house. At the end of that period, Mr. Leslie built a commodious brick house which he now occupies. He owned at
one time four hundred and thirty six acres, which he has divided among his children until he now retains only one
hundred and sixty acres.
Mr. and Mrs. Leslie have been the parents of six children, Dr. Francis, who is a graduate of the University of
Michigan at Ann Arbor and is now situated in Toledo, Ohio; Dora. the wife of Philip Ray. of Camden; Nevada T.,
the wife of Eli Miller, of Democrat township; Roscoe, a resident of Nampa, Idaho; Raymond, who lives in Cambridge
City, Indiana; and Mabel, a graduate of the College of Music at Oberlin, Ohio. married Earl Chapman, who was a
student at DePauw University for three years.
Mr. Leslie is independent in politics, preferring to vote always for men and measure rather than for parties and
party emblems. He is a good man and a good citizen and has discharged well all of the duties of life.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium