CHARLES E. LENON.
A well known American writer has said that "The farm is, and must always remain, the chief source of our
country's wealth, strength and power, as well as the cradle of our ablest men." If this statement is true,
every good farmer is a benefactor to the race, because his work is creative. The charge of parasitism, therefore,
can never be laid at his door. Charles E. Lenon was born on the farm where he now lives, the date being August
13, 1871. His farm of forty acres is situated on rural route number 2, one and a half miles east of Camden. The
subject of this sketch is the present trustee of this township and is the son of Levi and Lucy (Wright) Lenon.
Levi Lenon was the son of John Lenon, and was born one half mile east of what is now known as the Neible farm,
on February 12, 1833. John Lenon was born in Butler county and was the son of John Lenon, a native of Germany.
The latter emigrated to the United States and located in Butler county, Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his
life. The history of the family in Indiana dates from the time when John Lenon, Jr., located himself and family
in Jackson township, west of Camden, and here he lived the remainder of his life, becoming possessed of much of
this world's goods. His son, Levi, was married to Lucy Wright, who lived on the adjoining farm east, and for two
years the young husband lived with his wife's people. He then purchased the present property, where he lived for
fifty two years. He was a Democrat in politics, in which party he was quite active, but never held public office.
He was one of the most highly respected men of the township. John Lemon. Jr., was the father of fifteen children,
of whom Levi was the youngest boy. One of these, Samuel, still survives and lives in Camden, having reached the
eighty sixth milestone of his life. Levi and Lucy Lenon became the parents of eight children, five of whom are
living. These are, Matthew M., of Camden; Charles E., the subject of this biography; J. O., of Lafayette; Mary,
the widow of Frank Trivett, of Camden, and S. J., of Culver, Indiana. Those who have passed away are Cordelia,
who died at the age of eighteen; Willie, who died in infancy, and Franklin A., who died when a lad of sixteen.
Charles Lenon lived at home and worked on the farm until his marriage, having received his education in the country
schools. After the death of his father, on January 9, 1913, he returned to the home farm, where he has lived ever
since. On June 26, 1895, the marriage of Mr. Lenon and M. J. Parkins was consummated, the bride being the daughter
of Elizabeth Eckerle. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Lenon made their home three miles east of their present
residence. They are the parents of three children, Rufus K, who lives at home, and who will graduate from the high
school in 1916; Leta Bernice, who is in the third year in high school, and Charles Raymond, who lives at home with
Mr. Lenon is a Free and Accepted Mason, belonging to Mt. Zion Lodge No. 211, and is a past noble grand of Lodge
No. 151, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Camden. He is a past master of the Masonic lodge and represented
the lodge on three different occasions in the grand lodge. He and his family are members of the Camden Baptist
church. Mr. Lenon is a prominent Democrat and at present is township trustee.
Every community has its men of vision and of responsibility. To these the people look for a confirmation of their
views or, at least, for representation in organizations that reflect the general trend of thought and achievement.
In making the statement that Charles E. Lenon is such a man, the editor is but seeking to put him in his rightful
place in the estimation of the public.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium