MARY C. HARDY.
The biography of Mary C. Hardy is only briefly recorded in the following recital of a few events in a useful
life nobly lived. The eldest in a family of nine children, she early became inured to the hardships and privations
of pioneer days, but these she bore with the courage and fortitude which distinguished her afterlife, when, as
a widow, she again faced difficult conditions. Mrs. Hardy has won many friends in and near her home, and has been
successful in the work which she has undertaken to do. Mary Hardy, the widow of William Hardy, Sr., lives on her
farm of one hundred and ninety acres in section 26, on rural route No. 1, Burrows, Indiana. She was born on June
18, 1855, on the farm of her father and mother in Butler county, Ohio.
The parents of Mrs. Hardy were James and Bridget Teresa (McGlynn) O'Donnell. James O'Donnell was born in County
Sligo, Ireland. He remained at his home in Ireland to take care of his mother and at the age of thirty came to
this country, landing at New Orleans. He worked on a plantation for one year, and then decided to go northward,
traveling by boat. Landing first at Cincinnati, he went from there to Butler county, Ohio, and here met the mother
of the subject. Bridget McGlynn was born in County Leitrim; Ireland, and came to this country when a girl of nineteen,
landing in New York on July 4, 1849. She came direct to Hamilton, Ohio, where she lived for four years previous
to her marriage. When married, the young couple came to Washington township, Carroll county, where they bought
one hundred and twenty acres of land from Josiah Yerkes.
They became the parents of nine children, five daughters, Mary, Anna, Winnif red, Ellen and Elizabeth, and four
sons, Charles. Patrick, John and a second Charles. The eldest of these children is the subject of this sketch.
The second, Anna, remained single and lives with her brother, Patrick H. O'Donnell, in Chicago. Winnifred died
in childhood. Ellen became the wife of C. V. Willey, of Rock Creek township, and is the mother of eight living
sons and four living daughters. Elizabeth died after she reached womanhood. The elder Charles died in infancy.
Patrick and John are residents of Chicago, and Charles owns a farm in Rock Creek township and the manager of his
brother Patrick's farm, lying in the same vicinity.
Mary, who later became Mrs. Hardy, lived with her parents until her wedding day, which was June 23, 1881, her husband
being the son of John and Elizabeth ( Pardner) Hardy. On July 14, 1882, Mr. Hardy died, leaving his wife and one
son, named William P. Hardy, who still lives on the home farm. Mr. Hardy was a Republican in politics.
Mrs. Hardy is a devout member of St. Vincent's Catholic church, and her son is a prominent member of the Knights.
of Columbus at Logansport, Indiana.
In all the relations of life Mrs. Hardy has proven herself to be a woman of high ideals and exemplary character.
She is sympathetic to those in trouble, kindly in her nature, a warm, sincere friend, a good neighbor, an ardent
church member and a faithful wife and mother. During her residence here, Mrs. Hardy has endeared herself to a wide
circle of friends and acquaintances, who prize her friendship for its true worth. Her true womanly nature has taught
her the precious ksson of sorrow, and her life of unselfish service is evidence that she has learned that "every
day of meeting sorrow superbly makes the life more grand. Every tear that falls from one's own eyes gives a deeper
tenderness of look, of touch, of word that shall soothe another's woe. Sorrow is not given that we may mourn. It
is given us that, having felt, suffered, wept, we may be able to understand, love, bless."
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium