JOHN A. CARTWRIGHT.
Any history of Carroll county, embracing the political, business and financial phases of its record, would be
incomplete were there failure to make specific mention of the gentleman whose name appears above. For half a century
he has been a preeminent figure in the life of the community and has had a large part in its progress and development.
John A. Cartwright was born on November 17, 1830, in Trumbull county, Ohio, the son of John and Margaret (McCorkle)
Cartwright, who were natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. John Cartwright, who followed the pursuit
of fanning throughout his active life, was a Democrat in politics and a man of local prominence, having held a
number of township offices. To him and his wife were born ten children, of whom the subject of this sketch is now
the only survivor.
John A. Cartwright, after completing the public school course in his native state, attended Mt. Union Seminary,
at Mt. Union, Ohio, and in 1852 entered the University of Indiana, graduating therefrom in 1855. During the following
three years he was at the head of Sugar Grove Institute, and then, for a like period, served as principal of the
Delphi schools. Upon coming to Carroll county, Mr. Cartwright at once became closely identified with the varied
interests of the community and during all the years since then he has been a prominent figure here. Soon after
coming here he was appointed school examiner and also served as school trustee. In 1868 he was elected mayor of
Delphi, being the second incumbent of that office. In 1870 he was elected auditor of Carroll county, and in 1874
he was reelected to that office by the largest majority ever received by a candidate for a county office in Carroll
county, and this, too, in face of the fact that his opponent was a well known and highly esteemed citizen. In 1884
Mr. Cartwright was elected representative to the state Legislature, serving one term with honor to himself and
to the satisfaction of his constituents. Subsequently he served as a member of the county council: In all these
positions of responsibility Mr. Cartwright ever kept the best interests of the community uppermost and his official
record was characterized by promptness, accuracy and sound business methods.
For many years Mr. Cartwright was engaged in the lime business, in which he met with success. In 1892 he became
identified with the banking business, beginning his career in that line in the A. H. Bowen & Company bank.
Subsequently, in company with Edward W. Bowen and others, he organized the bank of E. W. Bowen & Company. This
institution was successful from the start and later was changed to a state bank, being now known as the Delphi
State Bank. Mr. Cartwright has remained actively identified with this bank and is now its president. He is also
the owner of several hundred acres of good Carroll county land, in the operation of which he has been successful,
and during the past twenty five years he has given considerable attention to stock raising. Mr. Cartwright is a
very active man, finding the keenest pleasure in work, and the statement that he has never taken but one vacation
is evidence of his determination to "work out, rather than rust out." He is deeply interested in ally
phases of the community life and gives his unreserved support to every movement looking to the betterment of the
Politically, Mr. Cartwright has been prominent in the ranks of the Democratic party and, though wisely conservative,
has taken a healthy interest in the success of that party. Fraternally, he has for many years been a member of
the Masonic order and at the present time is probably the oldest living Mason in Carroll county.
In 1861 John A. Cartwright was married to Susannah Hiett, of Tippecanoe county, and to them five children have
been born, as follow : Jessie, deceased, was the wife of Dr. Wycliffe Smith, of Delphi ; John H., an attorney in
Delphi, married Stella McAfee; George, who is cashier of the Delphi State Bank, married Blanche Gilliland and they
have two children, John A. and Willard; Mary is deceased; Josephine is the wife of George R. Ives and the mother
of three children, Mary, Joseph T. and John H.
History of Carroll County, Indiana
Its People, Industries and Institutions
By: John C. Odell
B. F. Bowen & Company
Carroll County, IN
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium