Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906
BROWN, JACOB; farmer and stock-raiser; Utah, Kelly Township; is a descendant of an old and honored family of
New Jersey, where his ancestors were early settlers. He is also of Revolutionary stock, Abram Brown, his grandfather,
who was a wagon maker by trade, having laid down his tools to fight under Washington in the war for American independence,
in which he saw eight years continuous service. Mr. Jacob Brown now has in his possession a one and one half inch
chisel used by his grandfather in the manufacture of wagon hubs- His father, Jacob Brown, son of Abram and Sarah
Brown, who was born near Trenton, N- J., served his country as a soldier in the War of 1812. The Jacob Brown, just
mentioned, married Sarah Lamberton, who was born at Trenton, N. J., a daughter of Simeon and Sarah Lamberton, both
natives of that State. Mr. Brown's mother and both of his grandmothers were named Sarah. The subject of this sketch
was born in Monmouth County, N. J., February 8, 1838, and was educated in the common schools. In 1841 he was brought
by his parents to Warsaw, Hancock County, Ill., where the family arrived December 16. The elder Brown took up land
near Laharpe, Hancock County, living there until 1846, when he removed to Knox County, where for a time he operated
a farm in Henderson Township, which he sold to remove to Warren County. After farming for a time in Cold Brook
Township, five miles from Galesburg, he returned to Henderson Township, where he bought one-fourth of Section 19,
and where his wife died, August 18, 1866. After that event he sold his farm and bought a house and lot in Old Henderson,
where be lived until August 18, 1878, when he died. The younger Brown remained with his father until he was twenty-two
years old, then bought a farm near the village of Henderson which he sold in 1869 to remove to Iowa, where he bought
160 acres of land. In 1879, after his father's death, having been made administrator of his father's estate, he
disposed of his interests in Iowa and took up his residence in Kelly Township. At the present time, in partnership
with his wife. he owns 175 acres of laud in Section 34, Kelly Township. Mrs. Brown. who was Miss Lucy Ann Bunker,
was married to Mr. Brown in Knox County, March 25, 1860, and has borne him seven children named as follows: Alice
Henrietta, William H.. Warren Winfield, Nathan J., Dora Idella, Shewalla, Mand Blanche and Walter Clyde. William
H., who is a graduate of Knox College, is a hardware merchant at Little York. He married Olive Servil. who has
borne him two children. Dora Idella married Frank Brown. Shewella Maud Blanche married John Mitchell. Walter Clyde
married Jennie Maria Terpening and has a child named Elvie W. Alice Henrietta died when she was a year and a half
old and Nathan J. at the age of seventeen months. Warren Winfield married Charlotte Watkins and died at the age
of thirty-three years. Mrs. Brown was born in Medina County, Ohio, June 27, 1839, a daughter of Nathan and Priscilla
R. (Hailiwili) Bunker. Her father was born in Armstrong County, Penn., May 11, 1812, and came of Welsh ancestry.
He went early to Ohio, whence he removed to Illinois in 1865. His grandfather, who was a Revolutionary soldier,
once owned the land on which the battle of Bunker Hill was fought, and on which Bunker Hill monument now stands.
Priscilla Halliwill, who married Nathan Bunker, at Richfield, Medma County, Ohio, March 23, 1837, was born in Stark
County, Ohio, November 1. 1816. Mr. Bunker died April 27, 1885, his widow, August 18, 1896. Mr. Brown is a Democrat
in politics, and is a member of the church of Latter Day Saints. He has served his fellow-townsmen in the office
of School Director and in other important capacities.
Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois
and the history of Warren County.
Edited by: Newton Bareman, LL. D. & Paul Selby, A. M.
Published by: Munsell Publishing Company