Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906
John F. Safeblade, a merchant at Leland, La Salle County, was born near Gottenburg, Sweden, April 16, 1859,
a son of Andrew P. Safeblade, of Sweden. He came to the United States in June, 1876, settled in Elgin, Ill., where
he superintended the noted cheese factory at that place, owned by L. C. Ward, of St. Charles, Ill., working for
him for three years and a half, and in appreciation of his services his employer presented him with an elegant
gold watch and chain, costing $160. He began working for $5 a month, and at the expiration of three years he was
receiving $1,000 a year. In 1880 he went to Wilmington, Ill., and bought a creamery, which he kept until 1882,
when he came to Leland, where he ran a creamery for two years, and in the fall of 1884 he, in company with W. H.
Parks, built a creamery and cheese factory. He sold his interest to Mr. Ward, in the summer of 1885, when he engaged
in his present business. He carries a full line in general stock, and is building up a good trade. He was married
May 28, 1884, to Miss Emma Barkison, a daughter of John Harkison, late of Aurora, Ill. They are the parents of
one child. Mr. Safeblade is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
History of La Salle County, Illinois
Inter-State Publishing Co.