Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906
L. W. Mers, residing on section 8, Deer Park Township, where he has a small tract of land, is engaged in the
manufacture of drain tile, common and fire brick. Fully fifty years ago this business was begun as a pottery by
one John Kirkpatrick, who was afterward succeeded by his son, Murray Kirkpatrick; he by A. E. Rowland (Potter);
he by Daniel Richey, who first began the mannfacture of drain tile about the year 1878. His successors were Mers
Brothers, L. W. and C. D. Mers. L. W. being the elder, now has full charge of the works, while the younger brother
assists in running the farm of Andrew W. and Mary A. (Newell) Mers, they being the parents of said parties. The
father is a native of Kentucky, and the mother of Ohio. They were married in La Salle County, Ill., and are at
present engaged in farming and stock-raising on section 14, in township of Deer Park. Lawrence W. after completing
his education at Grand Prairie Seminary and Commercial College, began teaching and has for the past eight years
been engaged in that work during the fall and winter months, and attending to the factory during summer months
since 1882. May 26, 1885, he was married to Linda Studebaker. who after finishing her education at the Ottawa High
School had also been engaged in teaching for five years. The parents of both are of English descent.
History of La Salle County, Illinois
Inter-State Publishing Co.