Biography of John G. Hornning
La Salle County, Il Biographies

NAVIGATION

La Salle
County
Biographies

Online -
Biographies

Illinois
Histories

Michigan
Histories

New York
Histories

Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906 ] NEW


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

John George Hornning, section 1, Deer Park Township, came to this county in February, 1856, first locating in Lowell where he learned the blacksmith's trade which he followed one year with E. Burgess, who then sold out the business to Jacob Ott and Josepli Pierce, with whom our subject worked for eight years. He then engaged in farming, and in 1873 he bought his present farm of 120 acres which was improved with the exception of twenty acres of timber land. Mr. Hornning was born in wurtemberg, Germany, April 1, 1833, a son of Jacob and Anna M. (Buchlei) Hornning. When he was fifteen years old his mother died. ills father also died in Germany in 1870 aged seventy-six years. He immigrated to America in the fall of 1852, landing at New York where he remained two years working at the cabinet maker's trade. He then worked on a farm in Michigan for over two years after which he came to La Salle County, as before stated. He spent two months in Kansas but returned again to his work at Lowell. Oct. 20, 1858, he was married to Magdalena Ott, who was born July 2, 1837, in Germany, a daughter of Christopher and Magdalena (Lutz) Ott, the former dying in Germany in 1871, and the latter still living in Germany aged seventy-three years. Mr. and Mrs. Hornning have seven children - George, living in Nebraska; Jacob, William C., John C., Albert F., Mary M. and Timothy F. Mr. Hornning has served as highway Commissioner for one term, and in the spring of 1885 he was elected Township Assessor. He has also served on the board of School Directors for nine years. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party. He and his family belong to the Lutheran church.


FROM:
History of La Salle County, Illinois
Inter-State Publishing Co.
Chicago 1886