WILLIAM H. DUNTON. Justice of the Peace and farmer, was born in Oswego, N. Y., in 1819, son of Asa and Lois
Dunton. In early life he learned the trade of a stone-cutter. In March, 1836, he came with his ptirents to Cook
County. Ill., and located at Deer Grove, Palatine Township. They built the first house at Deer Grove, and were
the first actual settlers. After remaining about five years, they moved to Lemont stone quarry. He cut the stone
for a building built by H. O. Stone, Dr. Foster, and for a built on the corner of Madison and Dearborn streets,
Chicago. This was the first stone cut from the Lemont quarry, in 1837, the second year after his coming to Cook
County. he made a claim where the village of Arlington Heights now is, and he broke some ground that year and raised
a crop. After spending about three years at the stone business, he located on his land, where he has since resided,
He was married in 1844 fo Miss Almeda Wood, daughter of Dr. E. and Jane Wood. They have had six children, but two
of whom are now living - Edward and George. His father moved to Arlington Heights two years later and located on
an adjoining farm, where he lived until his death, which occurred in 1870, at the age of eighty one years. Mrs.
Dunton died the same year at the age of seventy six. Mr. Dunton has taken an active interest in the affnirs of
the community, and has held the various town offices for twelve consecutive years. He has served as Justice of
the Peace, and has been Township Treasurer for twenty years. He was Supervisor of Cook County for two terms. He
is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and one of its trustees and elders.
History of Cook County, Illinois
From the earliest period to the present time.
BY: A. T. Andreas
A. T. Andreas, Publisher
Names A to B
Names C to G
Names H to M
Names N to Z
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906