J. B. CLAY, carpenter, was born in county of Kent. Canterbury, England, in 1822, son of William and Elizabeth
Clay. He came to America with his parents in 1830, and located near Syracuse, where they resided two years. They
then removed to Utica, where they remained one year. In 1834 they removed to Chicago. In the following season his
father located on a farm in Wheeling Township, one half mile from the village of Wheeling. At the time of locating,
there was not a house within three miles. In 1840 he sold his farm and moved to Deer Grove, Palatine Township,
where he remained during life. In April, 1845, the subject of this sketch bought some land of the Government. in
Section 16. Township 42, Range 10, in Palatine Township, where he lived until his removal to the village of Palatine.
He was married in 1853 to Miss Laura L. Campbell. They had one child, Linnie. Mrs. Clay died in 1858. He was married
in 1863 to Miss Clara B. Martin, daughter of Daniel and Abigail Martin. They have one child. Cassius M. He has
been Supervisor, Collector, and Commissioner of Highways. and is now Town Clerk. The first and only brick house
in Chicago, in 1834, when Mr. Clay came there, was located on the north side of Lake Street, between Franklin Street
and Fifth Avenue. There was a two-story building on the corner of Franklin and South Water streets. The lower part
was used for a Baptist Church. and the upper part for a school, where Mr. Clay attended in the summer of 1834.
History of Cook County, Illinois
From the earliest period to the present time.
BY: A. T. Andreas
A. T. Andreas, Publisher
Names A to B
Names C to G
Names H to M
Names N to Z
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906