E. H. CLAY. farmer, was born in Canterbury, County Kent, England. in 1830, son of William and Elizabeth Clay.
He came to America with his parents in infancy. They located near Syracuse, N. Y., where they remained two years.
They then removed to Chicago, where they remained six months, then located on a farm one half mile north of Wheeling.
In 1847 they removed to Deer Grove, Palatine Township, where they resided until the death of his father, which
occurred in 1834. On attaining his majority he engaged in farming, locating on Section 10. Township 42, Range 10,
where he lived until 1882. Selling his farm, he moved to the village of Palatine. He is interested in the job printing
house of C. Hanchett & Co., 149 Wabash Avenue, Chicago, of which his son, M. J. Clay, is a member. He was married
in 1861 to Miss Anna Owen. daughter of James and Catharine Owen. They have two children - Merton J., born in 1862,
and Irving O., born in 1866. While a boy, living with his parents in Wheeling Township. he one day was playing
with the neighbors' children, when they were surprised at seeing a band of 500 or 600 Indians approaching. Being
frightened they ran to the body of a log school house that was in process of construction. The indians. perceiving
their fright, increased it by surrounding the building and placing their guns through the cracks between the logs,
but after so thoroughly frightening the children, withdrew without further molestation.
History of Cook County, Illinois
From the earliest period to the present time.
BY: A. T. Andreas
A. T. Andreas, Publisher
Names A to B
Names C to G
Names H to M
Names N to Z
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906