WILLIAM BATTERMANN, merchant, was born in Germany in 1839, son of J. H. and Mariah Battermann. He came to Cook
County, Ill., in 1852, and located in Chicago. where he lived for twenty six years. He was for some years associated
with his brother in the grocery business. In 1861 he entered the employ of Samuel D. Clark, in the lumber business.
After four years he was employed by Bradner. Charnley & Co. as foremam which position he held for four years.
He then established the grocery business on the corner of Halstead and Canalport Avenue, which he followed for
about three years. From 1869 to 1811 he was member of the City Council. including the time of the great fire. In
1878 he went to Palatine, and was member of the firm of H. A. Ableman & Co. in the flax mill, and during the
time he was associated with that firm they built the feed mill. In 1881 he sold his interest. H. C. Battermann
and he came to Arlington Heights and bought the store and lots where his present bnsiaess is located, on Myrtle
Avenue, north side of railroad. He carries a full line of merchandise, his business having increased sixty per
cent since its establishment. He was married in 1859 to Miss Thersa Doersner, daughter of Charles and Minnie Doersner.
They have had seven children, three are now living - Emma. William ane Madaline. He is a member of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church. He has been trustee of the Church of that denomination in Chicago for about eight years.
History of Cook County, Illinois
From the earliest period to the present time.
BY: A. T. Andreas
A. T. Andreas, Publisher
Names A to B
Names C to G
Names H to M
Names N to Z
Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906