Charles A. Trumbauer, junior partner of the firm of Smith & Trumbauer, hardware merchants, who are conducting
business at Keota and at Wellman, Iowa, Mr. Trumbauer being in charge of the store at the latter place, was born
in Berks county, Pennsylvania, November 3o, 1870. His parents were A. F. and Mary E. (Romig) Trumbauer, both of
whom were natives of Pennsylvania, where they resided continuously until 1884, and then came to Iowa; locating
first in Buchanan county, where the father purchased, cultivated and improved a tract of land. He is now living
in Waterloo, this state, but his wife died on the 28th of October, 1896. They were the parents of ten children,
namely: Joseph O., of Waterloo, Iowa; Ellen R., the wife of L. A. Megow, a resident of Oelwein, this state; Magdaline,
of Lisbon, North Dakota; Charles A., of this revi; Clara V., the wife of John P. Clue, of this state; Anna L.,
the wife of R. Nesbit, making their home in Blaekhawk county, Iowa; Katie, the wife of J. D. Martin, residing in
Lisbon, North Dakota; James E., also of Waterloo, Iowa, and two died in infancy.
Charles A. Trumbauer was reared under the parental roof, remaining at home until eighteen years of age, when, desirous
of Providing for his own support, he secured a position at the insane asylum in Independence, Iowa. He worked there
as kitchen boy for six months when, realizing the need of further education as a preparation for the practical
and responsible duties of life, he entered Central University at Pella, Iowa, and spent three years in study. Thus
with broad literary knowledge to serve as the foundation for professional learning, he took up the study of medicine
at Keokuk, Iowa, and was graduated from the Keokuk Medical College of that city with the class of 1897.
Mr. Trumbauer located for practice in Harper, Iowa, where he remained for four and a half years and then removed
to Keota, where he continued in practice for six and a half years. He then disposed of his practice and turned
his attention to the hardware and implement business in partnership with L. H. Smith, under the firm style of Smith
& Trumbauer. They are owners of one large and well appointed store at Keota, also possessing another more extensive
store at Wellman. The business is carefully conducted along legitimate lines of trade and their patronage is constantly
increasing. Mr. Trumbauer has ever based his principles upon the rules which govern strict and unswerving industry
and integrity and by reason thereof he has won substantial and gratifying success. He is not only interested in
the two commercial establishments but is also the owner of a large farm of three hundred and fifty five acres on
sections 5 and 6, Lime Creek township; from which he derives a substantial annual income.
On the 25th of March, 1897, Mr. Trumbauer was married to Miss Laura Bryson, who was born in this county, December
8, 1870, and is a daughter of John K. and Harriet (Bonner) Bryson, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania. The
parents are now living in Keota, Iowa. Their family numbered six children, including Mrs. Trumbauer, who by her
marriage has become the mother of two daughters and one son: Esther L., Oliver and Louellen M. The parents are
members of the Baptist church and are held in high esteem here by all who know them by reason of their sterling
personal worth. Mr. Trumbaner votes with the democracy to which he has given his support since age conferred upon
him the right of franchise, but is not an office seeker. Fraternally he is connected with Keota Lodge, No. 353,
A. F. & A. M. He is a man of energetic and persistent action, swift in his decisions, quick in perception and
stable in purpose.
History of Washington County, Iowa
From the First White Settlement to 1908
BY: Howard A. Burrell
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Washington County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium