The largest and finest home in Malcom township stands as a monument to the energy, industry and determination,
successfully directed along agricultural lines, of Jacob Schultz, one of the most prominent and substantial citizens
of this locality.
He was born in Bureau county, Illinois, on the 16th of October, 1857, a son of John and Mary (Piel) Schultz, both
natives of Prussia, Germany. The father's birth occurred on the 19th of March, 1820, and the mother's on the 2d
of February of that year. They were married in the fatherland and came to the United States in 1854, locating first
in Bureau county, Illinois. Ten years later they came to Poweshiek county, Iowa, and here cast in their lot with
the early settlers of this district. The father, who was a ship contractor in his native country, took up the occupation
of farming upon his arrival in the United States and was therein engaged until the time of his demise. The old
homestead upon which he located on coming to Malcom township was all unbroken prairie land when it came into his
possession, and he and his son were the only white men who have had any part in its cultivation and development.
He was unusually successful in his agricultural undertaking and at one time owned one thousand acres of land in
Malcom and Sheridan townships which, however, was all disposed of to his children either before or after his demise.
He was a stanch democrat in' politics and in religious faith was a member of the Lutheran church. He donated a
portion of the old homestead as a site for that church and until the end remained one of its loyal and substantial
supporters. He was the eldest in a family of eight children, all of whom came to the United States with the exception
of a sister. They were as follows: John; Christ, Charles, Gust and Henry, all deceased; Fred, of Grinnell; Henrietta,
who married John Ahrnes, and is now deceased; and a sister who passed away, in Germany.
In the family of John and Mary (Piel) Schultz there were six children, namely: Charles, deceased; Lena, who passed
away in childhood; Fredericka, who married Lawrence Liedke, of Malcom; Minnie, the wife of Louis Pules, who is
mentioned at length on another page of this volume; Jacob, of this review; and Fred, of Malcom township. The parents
of this family are now deceased, the father passing away on the 25th of October, 1884, and the mother on the 11th
of April, 1891, their remaining days being spent in the home of our subject.
Spending the first seven years of his life in his native county, Jacob Schultz, whose name introduces this review,
accompanied his parents in 1864 on their removal to Poweshiek county, and he has since resided on the homestead
farm here which his father purchased at the time of his arrival. His education was acquired in the country schools
and he received a thorough practical training in the home fields, early becoming familiar with the tasks that fall
to the lot of the country lad. He continued to give his assistance to his father until the latter's death, since
which time he has carried or agricultural pursuits independently upon the portion of his father's estate which
he inherited. This farm consists of two hundred and eighty three acres located on the northwest quarter of section
3, Malcom township, and is one of the best equipped and most valuable properties in this section. Here Mr. Schultz
has introduced all of the conveniences and accessories of a model farm of the twentieth century and upon it are
to be found twelve substantial outbuildings, all topped by good shingle roofs, and all, with the exception of one
barn, were erected by him.
In 1910 he built a beautiful thirteen room residence, thirty two by sixty feet, with two stories and a basement,
frame and finished in hard pine. It is equipped with every modern improvement to be found in a city home, including
a lighting, heating and water plant, and is the largest and finest home in Malcom township. Mr. Schultz carries
eleven thousand, five hundred dollars insurance on his buildings, and the splendid condition of his farm speaks
in no uncertain terms of the substantial degree of success which has come to him. He engages in general farming,
but a large portion of his time and attention is devoted to his stock feeding interests, fattening from eighty,
to one hundred head of cattle per year and raising from one to two hundred head of hogs yearly. He ships all of
his stock to the Chicago market and this branch of his business interests yields large financial returns. He is
a stockholder in the Malcom Savings Bank and also in the Malcom Garage' Company, and is well known to agricultural
circles throughout Poweshiek county as a stockholder in both the Grinnell and Malcom fairs, a director of the Povveshiek
County Central Agricultural Association and of the Malcom fair.
Mr. Schultz has been married twice. In the year 1882 he wedded Miss Amelia Baum, who was born in Germany in 1858,
and when twenty four years of age came alone to this country. She passed away on the 24th of May, 1901. Unto this
union were born seven children, as follows: Emma, the wife of W. L. Lamb, of Malcom township; Minnie, Alvena and
John, all at home; George, who passed away when five years old; and Elmer and May, who are also still under the
parental roof. On the 12th of December, 1910, Mr. Schultz was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Deffenbaugh, who
was born in Fulton county, Illinois, on the 25th of February, 1869.
Mr. Schultz is a member of the German Lutheran church, the site of which was donated by his father and of which
he is a helpful and interested worker and a substantial supporter. He is a republican in politics and has filled
various school and road offices, while for the past seven years he has served as township trustee. Probably few
men are better known in agricultural circles throughout this district than Mr. Schultz, whose efforts to stimulate
the interests of his fellowmen toward progress and advancement along agricultural and stock raising lines have
been far reaching and beneficial. In his public capacity, too, he has ever sought the good of the community, casting
the weight of his influence on the side of advancement along material, political, intellectual and moral lines,
and in every relation of life he has been found loyal and public spirited, his own success never for a moment causing
him to forget his duties as a citizen.
History of Poweshiek County, Iowa
A Record of settlement, organization
progress and achievement
By: Prof. L. F. Parker
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Poweshiek County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium