J. F. Williams, residing on section 31, Clay township, owns and operates a farm of two hundred acres in Clay
and Liberty townships part of which has been in his possession more than a quarter of a century. He is numbered
among the worthy native sons of Marion county, his birth having here occurred on the 20th of August, 1857. His
parents, S. C. and Sarah M. (Salliers) Williams, both of whom were natives of Kentucky, removed to Indiana and
subsequently came to Iowa, spending the remainder of their lives here. They had ten children, seven of whom still
J. F. Williams attended the common schools in the acquirement of an education and when sixteen years of age left
home and began providing for his own support by working as a farm hand. In 1887, having practiced strict economy,
he had accumulated sufficient capital to buy land of his own and in that year came into possession of forty acres.
In 1894 he bought eighty acres more and in 1900 another eighty acre tract, so that he now has two hundred acres
in Clay and Liberty townships which he operates. He erected modern and substantial buildings on the property and
brought the place under a high state of cultivation and improvement, the well tilled fields annually yielding bounteous
harvests in return for the care and labor which he bestows upon them. He cultivates the cereals best adapted to
soil and climate and also devotes considerable attention to stock raising, both branches of his business bringing
him a gratifying annual income.
In 1883 Mr. Williams was united in marriage to Miss M. C. Rose, a native of Marion county, Iowa, and a daughter
of Richard and Matilda (Glenn) Rose, mention of whom is made on another page of this work in connection with the
sketch of T. R. Gregory, a brother in law of Mrs. Williams. For six terms prior to her marriage the wife of our
subject followed the profession of teaching in this county. They have two children. M. W., who was born May 16,
1884, and now assists his father in the operation of the home farm, wedded Miss Sylvia B. Whitlatch, by whom he
had two children: Macel, deceased; and Laverne. Elma A. Williams is still under the parental roof.
Mr. Williams, exercises his right of franchise in supports of the men and measures of the republican party and
has ably served in the capacity of school director. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist
Protestant church, to which his wife also belongs. They have spent their entire lives in Marion county and are
widely and favorably known within its borders, the circle of their friends being almost coextensive with the circle
of their acquaintances.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium