The Town of Wheeling was surveyed by J. A. Rousseau on July 5, 1851, in the northern part of section 5, township
76, range 21, for Thomas Poison and John Rankin. The plat was filed on the nth of the same month. It shows six
blocks of eight lots each, but the streets are not named. The first house was built by James Wilson, who was also
the first blacksmith and the first postmaster. Dr. C. C. Wilkie was the first physician, and the first goods were
sold by the firm of Walters & Butcher. The name was suggested by Henderson Poison, after Wheeling, West Virginia.
Early histories of Marion County locate this village in Swan Township, but it is in the northern part of Pleasant
Grove, 2 1/2, miles northwest of Pleasantville. It has never grown beyond the proportions of a small country village.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium