Tracy, Iowa
Marion County, IA





TRACY
Tracy is situated in the eastern part of Clay Township, fourteen miles southeast of Knoxville and not far from the Mahaska County line. It was surveyed in the fall of 1875 by Alexander F. Tracy, the proprietor of the town, and the plat was filed with the county recorder on November 11, 1875. It shows 149 lots, with Parker, Bradley and Franklin streets running north and south, and Munsell, Woltz, Needham, Sumner and Lawson streets running east and west.

The town is well provided with shipping and transportation facilities, being located on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Wabash railroads. It has a bank, three general stores, a hardware and implement house, a furniture store, a telephone exchange, a public school that employs four teachers, a Methodist Episcopal Church, telegraph and express offices, a postoffice, and ships large quantities of coal and agricultural products. Polk's Gazetteer for 1914 gives the population as 275.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012