Swan, Iowa
Marion County, IA





SWAN
Swan is an incorporated town on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, sixteen miles northwest of Knoxville and in the northwest corner of Swan Township. Soon after the railroad was completed the company bought forty acres of land in the southwest quarter of section 17, township 77, range 21, from John Shook, with the view of founding a town and establishing a station. In September, 1879, Anselmo B. Smith, a civil engineer, laid out a town of seventy two small lots and two large outlots for C. E. Perkins, trustee, and the plat was filed on the 13th of the following November. Since then the town has been increased by the Coal Addition, Shook's Addition, and Hunt's First and Second additions.

Within two years after Swan was laid out it had two general stores, a drug store, hotel and restaurant, a grain elevator, a postoffice, a saw mill, a blacksmith shop and a public school. In 1909 the Swan Telephone Company was incorporated, and a bank was established in 1910. The population in that year, according to the United States census, was 292, and in 1913 the property of the town was assessed for taxation at $95,636. Three teachers are employed in the public schools and the town has two churches, Christian and Methodist Episcopal.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012