Rousseau, Iowa
Marion County, IA





ROUSSEAU
When the scheme of improving the navigation of the Des Moines River by a series of locks and dams was proposed, one of the dams was to be located a short distance above the mouth of the White Breast Creek. On April 25, 1850, James A. Rousseau laid out a town of ninety nine lots immediately south of the river, in the west side of section 9, township 76, range 19, for William Kent. On June 20, 1850, Mr. Kent filed his plat in the office of the county recorder, giving the proposed town the name of Rousseau, in honor of the surveyor. A postoffice was established at an early date and Rousseau promised to become a town of some consequence. But the dam and locks were not built, the postoffice was discontinued, business removed to other towns on the railroad lines, and Rousseau exists only in name. Fifield is the nearest railroad station, and the few inhabitants of Rousseau and its environs receive mail by rural delivery from the postoffice at Knoxville.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012