Newbern, Iowa
Marion County, IA





NEWBERN
The Town of Newbern was surveyed by F. M. Frush on September 9, 1851, for Ransom Davis, who gave it the name of the town in Indiana from which he had emigrated. It is located in the northeast corner of section 31, township 74, range 21, in the extreme southwest corner of the county. The plat was filed in the office of the county recorder by Mr. Davis on April 9, 1852. It shows twenty four blocks of four lots each. Beginning at the east side of the town, the north and south streets are numbered from First to Sixth, inclusive, and the streets running east and west are North, Water, Poplar, Main, Washington and South. In the center is a public square.

At the first public sale of lots nine were sold at prices ranging from $4 to $8 each. Mr. Davis built the first house, a hewed log dwelling in the north part of the town; Jesse Moon was the first merchant, but was succeeded after a short time by Fletcher Kane, and Joseph Howard was the first postmaster. Rufus Murry built a large log house and opened the first hotel. Thirty years later the town boasted two general stores, a church, a blacksmith shop, a hotel, a steam mill, a drug store and an agricultural implement and hardware house. At that time Newbern was at its zenith. The postoffice has since been discontinued, and the village is now a neighborhood trading point for the surrounding farming community:

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012