The Town of Marysville, in the southwestern part of Liberty 'Township, was surveyed by James A. Rousseau, county
surveyor, for Joseph Brobst, on February 11, 1851, and the plat was filed on March 4, 1851. It shows twenty six
lots with a public square in the center equal in size to four lots. In March, 1854, this public square was conveyed
by the proprietor to Mathias Ulsh, who laid it out in lots under the name of Ulsh's addition. Since that time Ulsh
& Metz's addition, H. J. Ulsh's addition, and High & Gortner's addition have been added to Marysville,
so that the original town has been increased in area more than a hundred fold.
Marysville is situated in section 29, township 74, range 18, on the north bank of Cedar Creek, fifteen miles southeast
of Knoxville. The town was so named from the number of women in the Brobst family who bore the name of Mary, no
less than five of them bearing that appellation.
The first house in the town was built by Jonathan Wilder. The second was erected by Jacob Stambach and was long
known as the "old tavern stand." Andrew Kerr was the first merchant, and Peter Klein was the first postmaster.
The postoffice was at first called Ely, or Ely's, after one of the prominent families living in that locality.
In February, 1871, a weekly newspaper called the Marysville Miner was started by a company with J. W. Ragsdale
as editor, and in 1872 Welch & Company erected a large building for a woolen factory. The opening of the coal
mines about this time also added to the importance of Marysville, and in the latter '70s the town was incorporated
under the laws of the state. A Methodist Church was established in 1867 and a little later Masonic and Odd Fellows
lodges were instituted.
The Marysville of the present day has three general stores, a postoffice, telephone connections with the surrounding
towns, a public school that employs four teachers, and important coal mining interests. In 1910 the population
was 319, and in 1913 the property of the town was assessed for taxation at $66,188.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium