Harvey is situated near the eastern boundary of the county, just south of English Creek a short distance above
its mouth, on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railroads. It was
laid out by M. F. Marshall, deputy county surveyor, on December 12, 1876, for James Harvey and Mrs. J. H. Mitchell,
between the two railroads above named. The original plat shows eighty six lots of various sizes. Since it was filed
some additions have been made to the town, the most important of which are Rietveld & Emmel's and the Factory
Site additions, both of which were laid out in 1901. The last named consists of twenty two large lots, suitable
for manufacturing purposes, east of the old town.
Forty one residents of Harvey united in a petition to the District Court at the September term in 1903, asking
that the town be incorporated according to law. Judge J. H. Applegate appointed W. R. Dickey, W. E. Lemmon, A.
A. Sandy, Edward Mahoney and William McLaughlin commissioners to hold an election for the purpose of ascertaining
the sentiment of the voters. At the election, November 17, 1903, thirty eight votes were cast in favor of incorporation
and twenty three against it, five ballots being spoiled by the voters and not counted. The commissioners then reported
to the court that the proposition had been carried, and an election for municipal officers was ordered for December
to, 1903. Wynant van der Kamp was elected the first mayor; G. J. de Haas, clerk; J. B. Roovaart, treasurer; W.
R. Dickey, J. M. Olive, William McLaughlin, A. A. Sandy, W. D. Woods and Edward Mahoney, councilmen.
Harvey is the largest town in Clay Township. It has a national bank, a large brick and tile manufactory, two churches,
a public school that employs four teachers, telegraph and express offices, a telephone exchange, two large general
stores, an agricultural implement house, a hotel and a number of smaller shops. The population in 1910 was 346,
and in 1913 the property of the municipality was assessed at $156,492.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium