Gosport, Iowa
Marion County, IA





GOSPORT
The Town of Gosport was surveyed by F. M. Frush, then county surveyor, on July 8, 1853, for John Stipp and John Hessenflow, owners of the southwest quarter of section 15 and the northwest quarter of section 22, township 74, range 20, upon which the town is situated. The plat was filed on August 2, 1853, under the name of New Town. The name was changed to Gosport by an act of the Legislature, approved by Governor Grimes on January 15, 1855, the name of the postoflice having been changed prior to that date in order to avoid a conflict with the postoffice at Newton, the names being so much alike. The original plat shows twenty nine lots, but it has been increased by Pershall's addition.

Daniel Sampson was the first man to erect a house in Gosport, and soon after the building was completed he put in a stock of goods. A large building was also erected for a hotel, but the name of the man who built it seems to have been forgotten. With the introduction of the rural delivery system the postoffice at Gosport was discontinued and mail is now supplied daily from Columbia, two miles south. In 1914 nothing remained of the town except three houses at a crossroads and two churches, the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012