Durham, Iowa
Marion County, IA





DURHAM
On October 22, 1875, the Town of Durham was surveyed for William and Barbara Harvey, and the plat was filed the next day under the name of "Merrill." It is located in the southeast quarter of section 5, township 75, range 18, in the northern part of Clay Township, and is a station on the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, eight miles east of Knoxville. The original survey included forty five large lots for residences and twenty eight smaller lots intended for business houses. On January 24, 1876, the same site was resurveyed, making a different arrangement of the lots, and a new plat was filed under the name of "English." The eastern part of the plat was vacated on February 14, 1877, and the name was changed to Durham. Polk gives the population in 1914 as 100. Durham has a general store, a public school, a Methodist Episcopal Church, an express office, telephone connections, and ships considerable quantities of live stock and other farm products.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012