Delphi, Iowa
Marion County, IA





DELPHI
Isaac B. Powers, who was elected the first county surveyor of Marion County, reported that on July 15, 1846, he surveyed the Town of Delphi "On the south side of the Des Moines River in the prairie adjacent to Joshua Lindsey, and opposite the farm of William Markly." At that time the government survey in the western part of the county had not been completed and the suveyor could not give the location by section and township lines. Joshua Lindsey and William Markly were among the early settlers of Perry and Swan townships, and from the location of their claims it is ascertained that Delphi was situated in the northern part of what is now Swan Township, almost directly south of the little village of Percy. The plat shows three streets - Water, Main and Third - running parallel to the river, and three cross streets, not named. It does not appear that Delphi ever got beyond the paper stage of its existence, as old settlers do not remember anything of such a town.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012