Donnel, in his "Pioneers of Marion County," says: "Dallas Town is located on the southwest quarter
of the southeast quarter of section 2. It was surveyed by F. M. Frush, in September, 1857, at the instigation of
Richard Willis, on land purchased by him of a Mrs. Eckles. Mrs. Eckles was a grass widow, whose husband was at
that time alive and not divorced from her, and upon this ground the opinion was held by some that the title of
the land given by her was not secure. This report materially injured the prospects of the village for a short time,
but the fact that Mrs. Eckles had purchased the property with her own money restored confidence, and a goodly number
of lots were sold."
The official plat books of Marion County show that a new survey of Dallas was made on March 13, 1873, by O. H.
S. Kennedy, at that time the county surveyor. This was done at the request of Joseph Hout and included not only
the original plat in the southeast quarter of section 2, township 74, range 21, but also a part of the northwest
quarter of the northeast quarter of section 11, in the same township and range. The plat made by Mr. Kennedy was
placed on file on April 17, 1874. It shows five lots on the north side of the Knoxville and Newbern road and eleven
on the south side. South of this survey J. S. Campbell added nineteen lots on May 1896; William Goff's addition
of sixteen lots was platted in November, 1896, and Highberger's addition was laid out in July, 1900. It contains
Quite a number of the early settlers in the vicinity of Dallas came from the Buckeye State, and when the town was
first laid out it was called "Ohio." Two years before that, however, a postoffice had been established
in the neighborhood under the name of Dallas, with John Parrett as the first postmaster. After a short time the
name of the town was changed to conform to that of the postoffice. Hiram L. George built the first house after
the town was first laid out, and was also the first merchant. He was succeeded after a time by Parker Buckalew,
who for a number of years enjoyed a monopoly of the trade of the rich farming country surrounding the town.
At the May term of the Marion County District Court in 1911 a petition signed by thirty seven residents was presented
asking for the incorporation of Dallas. Judge Lorin N. Hays appointed C. C. Bickford, Sampson Miller, Roy Hixenbaugh,
W. B. Cox and Noah Hawkins commissioners to hold an election on June to; 1911, to ascertain the sentiment of the
voters on the question of incorporation. At the election thirty two votes were cast, thirty of which were in the
affirmative, and the court then declared the town incorporated. An order was also issued by the court for an election
to be held on July to, 1911, for the first municipal officers. R. A. Millen was elected mayor; R. E. Hixenbaugh,
clerk; W. S. Wilson, treasurer; J. R. Abbott, Floyd Stotts, A. L. Burrell, John Scott and F. M. Tharp, councilmen.
About the time the town was incorporated the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad Company began the building
of a line through the southwestern part of the county, and Dallas, being on the line of this road, experienced
a boom. John Scott's addition of ninety four lots was laid out on the south side of the town in February, 1912;
Fortune's addition of forty lots followed the next month, and on August 5, 1914, the plat of the "B. &
M. Addition to Dallas" was filed with the county recorder. It contains twenty four lots.
Since the completion of the railroad the town of Meicher has been laid out immediately south of Dallas and there
has been some rivalry between the two towns, but Dallas has held its own. It has a bank, a telephone exchange,
a public school that employs three teachers, several good stores, churches of different denominations, and in 1913
the property of the town was assessed for taxation at $119,352.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium