Bennington , Iowa
Marion County, IA





BENNINGTON
On August 14, 1848, Walter Clement, deputy county surveyor, reported that he had just completed the survey of the Town of Bennington for William D. Gregory and Ezra H. Baker, in the east half of the northeast quarter of section 9, township 77, range 21. Two days later the plat of the new town was filed with the recorder. It shows 205 lots, with seven streets running east and west and four streets north and south. The former were Vine, Pearl, Arch, Broad, Chestnut, Commercial and Front, and the latter were Washington, Clay, Taylor and Fillmore. Bennington was located on the north side of the Des Moines River, about a mile and a half west of the present station of Percy on the Wabash Railroad. Soon after the survey of the town was made Ezra H. Baker erected a store building and put in a stock of goods. He also secured the establishment of a postoflice and the appointment of postmaster. Thirty years later all that remained of Bennington was the ferry, operated by Thompson Price, and two or three small dwellings.

From:
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
Vol II
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chiago 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella

NAVIGATION

Marion County, IA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012