In July, 1848, a company composed of James D. Putnam, Isaac N. Crum, John Welch, George F. Hendry and Spear S.
Mangum employed Stanford Doud, then surveyor of Marion County, to lay out a town on the west half of section 15,
township 77, range 19, to which was given the name of American City. The plat, which was filed in the office of
the county recorder on November 4, 1848, shows a town of some pretensions, consisting of thirty two blocks of eight
lots each, with a public square in the center equal in size to four blocks and the vacated streets between. The
streets running east and west, beginning at the north side, were Prairie, Elk, Pella, Main Avenue, Cedar and Putnam;
those running north and south, beginning at the east side of the town, were Mangum, Monroe, Locust, Red Rock, Des
Moines, Marion and Welch. The survey and filing of the plat seems to have been all the progress that was ever made
toward building up the town. No sales of lots were ever recorded and all that remains of American City is the name.
The town was located a short distance northwest of the present village of Otley, in Summit Township.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Also see -Towns and villages with links
City of Knoxville
City of Pella
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium