W. H. Stroud is a worthy representative of an honored pioneer family of Marion county that was established here
about two thirds of a century ago. General agricultural pursuits have claimed his attention throughout his entire
business career, and he is now the owner of a well improved farm comprising eighty acres on section 17, Clay township.
His birth occurred in this county on the 27th of November, 1882, his parents being W. L. and Mary C. (Henderson)
Stroud, natives of Tennessee and Ohio respectively. The father still owns the land in Marion county that was entered
from the government by the paternal grandfather of our subject in 1849. For several years the family lived in a
log cabin, experiencing all the hardships and privations of pioneer existence. W. L. Stroud has remained a resident
of this county throughout the intervening period of sixty five years and is well known and highly esteemed as one
of its representative agriculturists and esteemed early settlers. To him and his wife were born six children, five
of whom still survive.
W. H. Stroud attended the common schools in the acquirement of an education and remained under the parental roof
until twenty three years of age, when he was married and established a home of his own. He then took up his abode
upon the tract of eighty acres on section 17, Clay township, which he now owns and operates, carrying on general
farming and stock raising with excellent success. The place presents a neat and attractive appearance and the well
tilled fields annually yield golden harvests as a reward for the care and labor which he bestows upon them.
In 1905 Mr. Stroud was united in marriage to Miss Jessie A. Gregory, a daughter of T. R. and Sarah S. (Rose) Gregory,
who are mentioned at greater length on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Stroud have three children, namely:
Merle C., Marion and Dorothy.
Mr. Stroud gives his political allegiance to the democracy and is now serving as a school director, being ever
a stalwart champion of the cause of education. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian
church, to which his wife also belongs. In the community where his entire life has been spent he enjoys an extensive
and favorable acquaintance, and his record therefore cannot fait to prove of interest to many of our readers. He
is a young and enterprising agriculturist whose untiring industry and able management insure continued and growing
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium