WILLIAM L. ROBERTS.
The Froggatt Furniture Store is the oldest store of the kind in Knoxville and has a splendid reputation for a high
quality of goods and fair dealing. William L. Roberts, now the owner of the store, is fully in harmony with the
policies which have governed the business since its establishment. He was born in Knoxville on the 1st of June,
1872, a son of John A. and Susan A. (Moore) Roberts, both natives of Ohio, whence they removed to Knoxville in
1870. The father was for some time superintendent of the Knoxville schools and later was a traveling salesman,
but the last years of his life were spent in retirement from the cares of active business life and in the enjoyment
of a well deserved leisure. He was a veteran of the Civil war, having enlisted in an Ohio regiment. His demise
occurred on the 1st of April, 1912, but his widow survives. To them were born five children: John J.; Della, who
married L. B. Meyers, of Oklahoma; William L., of this review; Roy M., who resides in Knoxville; and Fannie, the
wife of Ed Butterfield, also of Knoxville.
William L. Roberts was reared under the parental roof and attended the public schools of Knoxville in the pursuit
of his education. After being graduated from the Knoxville high school he clerked in a grocery store for one year
and then for seven years was employed in a similar capacity by G. W. Irvin, the proprietor of a furniture store.
In 1899 Mr. Roberts severed this connection and in the same year purchased an interest in the W. L. Froggatt Furniture
Store, being joined by W. O. Froggatt, a son of W. L. Frogatt, who retired from active connection with the business
at that time. On the 1st of January, 1913, Mr. Roberts bought out the interest, of W. O. Froggatt and has since
been the sole owner of the business. It is the oldest mercantile store in Knoxville and is still one of the leading
establishments of its kind in the city. Its high standard of commercial integrity and the excellent stock of goods
to select from have retained the trade of those who have once given it their patronage and have also gained new
customers. Mr. Roberts is thoroughly familiar with the line of goods carried and is efficient and up to date in
his business methods and under his direction the continued prosperity of the store is assured.
Mr. Roberts was married on the 28th of June, 1899, to Miss Margaret L. Taggart, a daughter of James and Jane Taggart,
early settlers of this county. The father was a miller by trade but is now deceased, as is also his wife. To Mr.
and Mrs. Roberts have been born two children, Maurine and John.
Mr. Roberts is a member of the Presbyterian church and in politics supports the men and measures of the republican
party. Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of
Pythias and the Red Men. He belongs to Oriental Lodge, No. 61, F. & A. M.; Tadmor Chapter, R. A. M.; Melita
Commandery, K. T.; and Za-Ga-Zig Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He has given the greater part of his time to the direction
of his private business interests but has not been too absorbed in his personal affairs to cooperate with a number
of movements that have resulted in good to his city and county.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium