Dr. L. E. Park has been actively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery at Tracy for about a third
of a century, being one of the oldest physicians in Marion county. He likewise conducts a drug store in the town
and is widely recognized as one of its most prosperous and respected residents. His birth occurred in Brown county,
Ohio, on the 3d of January, 1855, his parents being William R. and Rachel (Wood) Park, both of whom were natives
of the Buckeye state. They came to Iowa in the fall of 1856 and spent the following winter on a farm in Marion
county, subsequently purchasing a tract of land in Monroe county, where they continued to reside for almost forty
years. In 1896 they removed to Harrison county, Iowa, there spending the remainder of their lives. They became
the parents of ten children, five of whom survive.
Dr. L. E. Park spent the first twenty years of his life under the parental roof and subsequently followed the profession
of teaching for a period of five years, imparting clearly and readily to others the knowledge that he had acquired.
Having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons
at Keokuk, Iowa, and won the degree of M. D. from that institution in 188o and in 1904 took a post graduate course
at the Chicago Polyclinic. He first opened an office at Marysville and in 1882 came to Tracy, which place has since
remained the scene of his professional labors. An extensive and lucrative practice has been accorded him and he
is known all over the county, enjoying an enviable reputation for skill and ability in the field of his chosen
profession. He belongs to the Marion County Medical Society and the Iowa State Medical Society and thus keeps in
close touch with the advanced thought of the fraternity. Dr. Park also conducts a drug store in Tracy, owning the
store building. He likewise owns an attractive residence here and three hundred and twenty acres of land in Colorado
and is one of the directors of the Iowa Savings Bank at Tracy.
In 1882 Dr. Park was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary Bireley, a native of Missouri and a daughter of James W. and
Martha (Royce) Bireley, who were born in Indiana and Missouri respectively. The mother has passed away, but the
father survives and now makes his home with our subject. Dr. and Mrs. Park have no children of their own but have
reared five with parental affection and to whom they have afforded excellent educational advantages. They are devoted
members of the Methodist Episcopal church, exemplifying its teachings in their daily lives.
Dr. Park is fraternally identified with Lodge No. 163, A. F. & A. M., and Lodge No. 568 of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows, in both of which organizations he has filled all of the chairs. As a citizen he is ever ready
to assist in advancing the general welfare and as a physician his constant aim is to discharge his duties conscientiously
and always in accordance with the most advanced ideas as to diagnosis and treatment. He has attained deserved recognition
in his profession and financially enjoys a condition of practical independence.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium