B. W. Owen, who carries on general farming, his home being on section 24, Liberty township, has a large and
valuable property and in addition to the cultivation of the fields he is engaged in the raising of shorthorn cattle.
He is a man of determined purpose who formulates his plans carefully and then carries them forward to successful'
completion. He was born in Liberty township, Marion county, on the 6th of March, 1870, a son of John E. and Elvira
(Berry) Owen, natives of Ohio and Iowa respectively. The father removed westward to this state and in Mahaska county
was married. To them were born three children: William E., Quill A. and B. W. The mother passed away in 1871, when
her youngest son, the subject of this review, was but a year old, and her grave was made in Mahaska county. The
father long survived and was laid to rest in the cemetery at Hamilton.
John E. Owen came to Marion county in the year 1857, casting in his lot with the pioneer settlers, and from that
time until his death he was much interested in the development and progress of this section, taking an active part
in advancing the public welfare. Following the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted as a piper in Company H, Eighth
Iowa Infantry, and served until honorably discharged on account of ill health before the close of the war. He then
returned home and began farming, continuing actively in that pursuit throughout his remaining days. He also engaged
in the raising of graded stock and had good horses. His political allegiance was given the republican party and
he kept well informed on the questions and issues of the day and was ever ready to support his position by intelligent
argument. He accumulated considerable property through dint of hard work and capable business management and so
honorable and upright was he in all his dealings that he enjoyed the highest respect and confidence of those with
whom he came in contact. His death occurred in 1890.
B. W. Owen was educated in the local schools and in his youthful days started out in business on his own account,
always following the occupation of farming, to which he was reared. He erected all of the buildings upon his place
and in many ways has improved the property, which is today one of the valuable farms of the county, comprising
three hundred and thirty nine acres of valuable and productive land, all of which is under cultivation and is free
from all indebtedness. He carries on general farming and is also engaged in the raising of shorthorn cattle. The
place is pleasantly and conveniently located not far from Hamilton, on sections 24, 25 and 26, Liberty township.
On the 16th of June, 1892, Mr. Owen was united in marriage to Miss Louisa McGee, her parents being J. A. and Luda
(Grass) McGee, who have resided in Monroe county, this state, since pioneer times. Mr. and Mrs. Owen have five
children, namely: Beulah, who was born July 21, 1893, and is the wife of Chester Bailey; Blanche, whose birth occurred
November 19, 1895; Clyde, whose natal day was October 7, 1898; Elmer, born November 30, 1906; and Donald, who was
born on the 24th of October, 1909.
Mr. Owen has never sought to figure prominently in any public connection outside of business, feeling that his
farming interests demanded his best efforts. He has closely studied the problems of the farmer and carries on his
work according to modern, scientific methods and ideas. That his plans are characterized by sound judgment is indicated
in the success which has come to him and which has placed him among the representative agriculturists of this part
of the state.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium