Frank A. Monroe is one of the unusually successful agriculturists of Marion county, owning a large tract of
land comprising twelve hundred acres in Indiana township and also land in Dodge county, Minnesota. He has largely
retired but the supervision of his landed interests requires considerable time and energy. He was born in Indiana
township on the 24th of November, 1872, a son of James and Sophia (Allen) Monroe, who were married in 1859 in Marion
county, and resided in Indiana township until called to the great beyond. The former passed away in March, 1911,
when eighty one years of age, and the latter in February, 1908, when sixty seven years old. The father was a carpenter
by trade and followed that occupation in his early years but later devoted his attention to agriculture. Both he
and his wife were natives of Indiana, his birthplace being Shelbyville. The family was among the pioneers in Indiana
and a number of brothers and sisters of James Monroe are still residing in that state, he being the only one to
locate in Marion county, Iowa. Politically he gave his allegiance to the republican party and in religious faith
he was a Methodist, as was also his wife. To them were born five children, all of whom are residents of this county:
Mary, the wife of R. A. Hill, of Indiana township; John, also of that township; Annie, who is residing with John
upon the home place; Ira, of Knoxville township; and Frank A., of this review.
The last named was reared under the parental roof and attended the country schools in the pursuit of an education.
Since reaching man's estate he has continued in the occupation to which he devoted so many hours in his boyhood
and youth and has proved prosperous and progressive in an unusual degree. He has added to his real estate from
time to time and now owns some twelve hundred acres, part of which is located in Indiana township, this county,
and part in Dodge county, Minnesota. This also includes six properties in Knoxville. Four years ago he retired
from the active work of the farm and removed to Knoxville but he is still managing all of his extensive business
interests and displays the sound judgment that has throughout his life been a strong factor in his success.
Mr. Monroe was married in Indiana township in January, 1900, to Miss Mary Simmons, a daughter of Leonard Simmons,
of Columbia, Washington township, who came to this county in its pioneer days, arriving here October 4, 1854, when
a young man. He settled in Indiana township and has resided in this county since, with the exception of three years.
He purchased land and improved it, becoming the owner of a highly developed and valuable farm. He is now eighty
one years of age and has survived his wife since March, 1899, her demise occurring when she was sixty three years
old. He is a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as was his wife, and is honored by those who
know him. Three of his four daughters are living, those besides Mrs. Monroe being: Mrs. Joseph Caddy, of Lucas
county, this state; Mrs. Sallie Whitlock, a widow, who resides with her father; and Mrs. Cora Welch, who died at
Columbia, this county, on the 2d of July, 1914. Mrs. Monroe was reared in Indiana township and for one year attended
school in Knoxville. To Mr. and Mrs. Monroe have been born two children, Merna and Marita, both in school. The
wife and daughters attend the Methodist Episcopal church, of which the former is a member. Politically Mr. Monroe
supports the candidates and policies of the republican party and takes a praiseworthy interest in everything of
public concern. During his life he has contributed in no small measure to the agricultural development of this
county and this, coupled with his sincerity and uprightness of life, commends him to the good will and esteem of
his fellow citizens.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium