Newton F. Miller is a progressive farmer residing in the vicinity cf Knoxville and is well known in Marion county.
He was born in Highland county, Ohio, in 1849, a son of Jacob and Eliza (Weir) Miller, natives of Bedford county,
Pennsylvania, and Highland county, Ohio, respectively. The father was born in 1816 and the mother in 1823. Their
marriage occurred in Highland county, Ohio, and the mother passed away there in 1867. The father removed to Warren
county, Iowa, in that year and in 1868 came to Marion county, purchasing land in Pleasant Grove township, which
he farmed until about 1888. He then went to Pleasantville and lived retired until his death, which occurred in
1890. He was a democrat in politics. Following the death of his first wife he married Mrs. Ducksworth, by whom
he had one child. Newton F. Miller was the third in order of birth of the six children born of the first marriage.
Mr. Miller of this review accompanied his father to Iowa in the late '60s. His education was mainly acquired in
Ohio, but he studied for a term in the Central University of Iowa at Pella after the removal to this county. When
twenty one years of age he married, and began farming for himself, previous to which time he had taught school
in the winter and assisted his father in the work of the home farm during the summer. The first year that he farmed
for himself he rented land, but at the age of twenty two years he had saved sufficient to enable him to purchase
forty acres in Pleasant Grove township. He subsequently purchased a farm in Franklin township and in 1899 bought
the farm where he now resides, which is situated on section 2, Knoxville township, and consists of fifty five acres.
He also owns two hundred acres on section 3, that township, a part of the last mentioned tract of land being rented
and part devoted to pasture. Mr. Miller has about forty head of cattle and also raises Red Jersey hogs, devoting
more attention to the raising of stock than to the cultivation of grain, as he believes it more profitable. He
has resided in Knoxville township since 1894, although he did not purchase his present home farm until 1899. He
has made all of the improvements upon the place and everything is in a splendid condition, his residence being
large, comfortable and of attractive appearance. On the 1st of October, 1909, at the suggestion of Judge Crozier
he organized the bank in Knoxville which is known as the Guaranty Bank and was cashier of the institution for three
years and nine months. At the end of that time he sold his interest to E. R. Jordan, assistant cashier of the Citizens
Bank of Pleasantville, and his brother for a consideration of ninety five hundred dollars, or one hundred and twenty
five dollars a share, as he owned seventy six shares. Mr. Miller placed the bank upon a sound basis and it is now
one of the most substantial institutions of the kind in the county.
Mr. Miller was married to Miss Mary J. Elliott, who was born in Mahoning county, Ohio, about 1846 and passed away
in 1870. Mr. Miller subsequently married Miss Candis Marsh, a native of this county, and they have five children:
Ruby M., who is a sophomore at Simpson College, Indianola; Ruth Helen, who is a freshman at the same college and
who won a scholarship, as she was the valedictorian of the class of 1914 at the Knoxville high school, and Edna
Frances, Leon N. and Robert L., all in school.
Mr. Miller is a democrat and from 1896 to 1900 served acceptably as county auditor, being the first auditor who
had offices in the new courthouse which was finished in January, 1897. His activities as a farmer have not only
won him financial independence but have aided in the agricultural development of the county, and his upright and
straightforward life has gained him general respect.
History of Marion County, Iowa
And its People
John W. Wright, Supervising Editor
W. A. Young, Associate
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Marion County, IA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium